Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

New magic system, responsive discussion thread

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
In my internal debate I've come to the conclusion the MP regeneration is a minor inconvenience to magical characters and players but the trade off is a major plus for the server as whole so I suppose it gets my approval. Look forward to seeing more, especially details on overuse. :D

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
In my internal debate I've come to the conclusion the MP regeneration is a minor inconvenience to magical characters and players but the trade off is a major plus for the server as whole so I suppose it gets my approval. Look forward to seeing more, especially details on overuse. :D
We're working very hard to make sure that everything is balanced and fair, as well as building off of what was already there. We want magic to be a storytelling device, not an ace in the hole, so to speak.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
We're working very hard to make sure that everything is balanced and fair, as well as building off of what was already there. We want magic to be a storytelling device, not an ace in the hole, so to speak.
*Also clicks "Player Love" for this post*

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I agree my major sticking point internally was playing an alt freezes the time clock on MP regeneration. However again its a minor sticking point and tbh if folks are having that be a major repeat problem in their RP they are 1) probably Using Magic too often and 2) Not getting enough sleep. I can also think of a half of dozen other minor reasons to justify this decision myself so again it gets my approval. I'm glad as much thought and work are being put into the system as it is.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Are there any plans on plugins being created in order to manage and count players MP?

Not that I don't trust people but I feel like it would create far too much work for staff to check magic users from 8+ hours ago to see if they haven't rp'd using magic since then.

It just seems like this system is putting far too much power into players and trusting them to do it properly

~Just my 5 cents

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Are there any plans on plugins being created in order to manage and count players MP?

Not that I don't trust people but I feel like it would create far too much work for staff to check magic users from 8+ hours ago to see if they haven't rp'd using magic since then.

It just seems like this system is putting far too much power into players and trusting them to do it properly

~Just my 5 cents
I think a major part of acquiring magic is showing that you are a responsible player, and follow the rules.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good

~Just my 5 cents
It's desirable, yes. As for concrete plans... we don't currently have any. But these concrete rules allow us to potentially have such a plugin in the future. To start off with, though, we'll have only a handful of folks, so it won't be unwieldy. As we add more people it may become necessary, yes.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Given a set of quantitative rules, it's entirely possible to develop a plugin that manages the magic system by itself, but like Som said there's no concrete plan to get into it while players can demonstrate the responsibility to manage the system cooperatively. A plugin also severely limits what players can do outside of its rules, making free RP with magic (much preferable to combat RP) difficult.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Hmmm would it be possible to make a plug in that worked on a system like this.

To the user he types in /spell use <spell name> <MP used>
It records this and deducts it from his total that would reset 8 hours after being logged off.
To other users they could type something like /mage <IGN> and it shows them something like a Pokemon style HP system for MP. It could be simple colored words <Green> means they have 50% or more of their total MP. <Yello> More than 15% but less than 50%. <Red> They have less than 15% oftheir MP left. Since I suppose mages should RP their tiredness after using magic this shouldn't give away anything that a perceptive eye couldn't normally see and would help protect against meta/power gaming on both sides of the equation.

Admins of the plugin could grant ranks based on the magic system which would intially grant access to the plugin, then gain MP as they gain ranks or remove them if washout or are removed. Folks without any MP when searched this way could come back. <User not a Mage>.

Spells cast without use of this plug in if it were implemented would be voided unless approved by a staffy/lore member. It shouldn't limit RP use of magic as its really only a counter of their MP which I assume is used up even in non-combat uses of magic. Also it would make tracking MP and spell use fairly easy as they could track records via the plugin. Spell names would just be placed as a record for staff to check against in case their are disputes about spell usage, effects, and cost.

This again is just a thought and I'm not a programmer and have zero knowledge of how difficult what I just proposed would be to implement. Could have other problems too.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera

It records this and deducts it from his total that would reset 8 hours after being logged off.
To other users they could type something like /mage <IGN> and it shows them something like a Pokemon style HP system for MP. It could be simple colored words <Green> means they have 50% or more of their total MP. <Yello> More than 15% but less than 50%. <Red> They have less than 15% oftheir MP left. Since I suppose mages should RP their tiredness after using magic this shouldn't give away anything that a perceptive eye couldn't normally see and would help protect against meta/power gaming on both sides of the equation.

Admins of the plugin could grant ranks based on the magic system which would intially grant access to the plugin, then gain MP as they gain ranks or remove them if washout or are removed. Folks without any MP when searched this way could come back. <User not a Mage>.

Spells cast without use of this plug in if it were implemented would be voided unless approved by a staffy/lore member. It shouldn't limit RP use of magic as its really only a counter of their MP which I assume is used up even in non-combat uses of magic. Also it would make tracking MP and spell use fairly easy as they could track records via the plugin. Spell names would just be placed as a record for staff to check against in case their are disputes about spell usage, effects, and cost.

This again is just a thought and I'm not a programmer and have zero knowledge of how difficult what I just proposed would be to implement. Could have other problems too.
WELL-

... *Coughs*
Since some magic details haven't been released I spose I can't mention much on this- but with a plugin being mentioned I have just gone on a quick check for any plugins that could help and unfortunately haven't found anything that would suit HW to what it needs. I will keep on looking but I'm with Som on this that we wont need to be too strict/worried about it in the beginning, it's certainly worth it to watch out for a plugin that can work for us though :D

If anything the MP thing makes me think of Heroes, which has an MP system, I never properly looked into it, it'd also be important that they could be compatible with mcMMO

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good

Meant to respond- this is exactly the type of plugin that I was thinking we would need. I'll have to nose about with our plugin folks (Sally's already commented :heart: ) to see if we could do a custom one (unlikely with any expediency) or if we need to retrofit an existing one that's out there somewhere.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Just occurred to me that editing the posts will not show up for folks stalking it.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I for one, am excited beyond words. That metaphysical cheese grater thing sounds flippin' awesome.