Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Corvus Dedamus

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Name: Apparently some people cannot read, so I'll repeat myself for them. My name is Corvus Dedamus.
Nickname/Alias: Trouble, because thats what I am.
Age: I'm 27, though that may just be because thats my lucky number.
Race: Human, and maybe some orc, elf, dwarf, or assorted dragon. My dear dad messed around a bit.
Height: Oh, maybe 6 feet even. But I'm told my imposing presence makes me taller. That and boots.
Weight: Well, I usually weigh around 165 pounds, but that was before I lost my mango's. Long story.
Hair: Is this do I have hair or what color it is? If it's the latter, wouldn't that be a bit redundant? What idiot wrote this anyways, I need to play a round of cards with them...and my hair is black. Rather unkept too, the ladies like it like that.
Eyes: Again with the unspecific question. Yes, I have both my eyes. They are said to be a dashing silver color.
Skin: Well....I have skin. It's nice skin. It stays on me and behaves like good skin.
Identifying Marks: I have a scar across my left eye. It's very charming and debonair
Clothes: Well, I wear clothes. They're lovely clothes. Kind of a black leather armor with a black cape and a sleek hat that lloks like a Witch hat that's very pointy in the front.
Strengths: I am clever, a good bluffer, dashing, relentlessly charming, handsome, cool, and sometimes a good guy.
Weaknesses and fears: I tend to drop my arm when I do a right cross. Oh, and I lose a card game once in a blue moon. Er....and demons. Demons and anything demonic freak me out.
Religion and cults: Luck
Profession: Trickster, jester, hero, theif, villain, and master of cards.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Alright, now that I've had my fun, here's the story.

A Day in the Life of a Scoundrel.....One Corvus Dedamus.

My my my. Seems like just yesterday I was a young jack back in the swamp. Never did much but catch frogs and play cards. Maybe mess around with some of the village girls a bit. Nothin' too serious. How did I end up here? Suppose I'll tell you.

"You better start talkin' boy. That gold's worth more to me than your miserable hide, and I will crack your bones open and use the marrow to season my bread if you don't tell us where you hid the loot!"

That's right, I may be hanging from a chain, I may be cut, bruised, beat up and mighty thirsty, but at least I can still move my mouth. Not that he's gettin' that gold. I nearly lost my right arm stealing it from this fool. It's going towards a new hat. Something flashy.....yeah. Assuming I can weasel out of this one. Hope this guy doesn't knock out my teeth, it'd ruin my looks.

The chained man looked up at his jailer and smiled. "My good jack, you're going about this all wrong. If you let me down, I can show you where the gold is. Then, we can split the pot 2 ways and I'll be on my merry wa-"

*Crack*

"Boy, did I ask you whether you wanted to get down or not!? No, I recollect I asked you where the gold is. Because you stole our gold, I am wastin' time in this godforsaken town looking for it, eh? So you better start talkin' pretty boy, cause I'm not amused."

"Well, I know a great recipe for cherry pie. First, you get all your ingrediants...then, you roll the dough into a-"

*Crack*

"THAT'S IT! YOU'RE GONNA DIE!"

The man lunges. The one in chains slips to the side, then wraps his chains around the mans neck, and begins to pull.

*thump thump, thump thump*

He pulls harder.

*thump thump, thuuuuuump thuuuuuuuuuump, thuuuuump.........*

He pulls the keys out of the dead mans pocket.

"I don't believe we've been properly introduced jack. I'm Corvus Dedamus."

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
The jack across from me is most likely playing for a court of wolves, he's confident that he'll get the pot. The jack to my right must be bluffing. That tick in his left eye means he's nervous. The others have either stone faces and are calling or they have the look of folding about them. Meanwhile, I can nearly get Jack-of-all-aces...I just need the last ace. So close. Better up the ante, maybe the guy to my right will drop an ace when the jack next to him folds.

Corvus tossed 200 radiants onto the table.
"I call your 150, and I raise you by 50"

Some eyebrows were raised around the table. A raise like that might be a bluff or the real deal.
Corvus then picked up a card from the stack.

5 of Skulls. No good. Lay it down and stay blank.

The next player took a look at the deck, them called the bet. Another 200 radiants clinked onto the table.
The captain of the guard across from Corvus just smiled, raised the bet by 100, picked up a card, and lay down the 6 of Shields.

Oh, he's good. Come on, I need that ace. That pot is the best I've seen for 6 months.

The man folded. The one next to him called the bet, then picked up a card, frowned, and lay down the Ace of skulls.

Yes!

Emotionless, Corvus picked up the ace and lay down his last card, a King of Swords.
The captain smiled again, then spoke.

"It seems we've reached the end of the round. Care to show your cards?"

The man to Corvus's right lay down his cards.

"4 of a kind."

The captain lay down his cards.
A king, queen, count, jack, and fool of Wolves were the cards.

"Full court of Wolves. Seems like I win the game."

Corvus half-grinned, then lay down his hand.

"Jack-of-all-aces. I call Sabres, the pot is mine. Seems like you were wrong jack."

The captain's face turned to disbelief, then outrage. Struggling to get his sword out of his scabbard, he felt a vicious kick to the stomach. By the time he got up, all that remained of Corvus was an open door and a footprint leading outside.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Haha! 1240 Radiants, right there. Oh, I gotta celebrate. There should be an inn around here somewhere...I can get drunk or pick up some errant barmaid.

Corvus stepped inside the brightly lit inn. A bard was playing, and the boisterous crowd clapped along with the song, laughing with mirth. While Corvus sat down, a young, pretty barmaid came up.

"What can I get for you, honey?"

Oh look, an errant barmaid. What are the odds?

He just smiled, looked her up, down, then smiled some more.

"Well, that's an interesting question? What's your special, darlin'?"

The girl smiled and laughed into her shirt, then spoke again.

"I'll see what I can arrange."

Corvus smiled at her as she walked away, then sat back and ordered a bourbon on the rocks.

Well, this ought to be an interesting night....

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Skulls, I nearly died back there. Why is that guy so angry anyways? Sure, I slept with his wife, but she was being an errant barmaid. Not my fault she can't resist my charms. Think I lost him...

Corvus waited a little while longer, then leaned out and peeked around the corner. There was no one there. Flashing a half grin, he began to walk into the street, when he felt a pair of hands grab him from behind.

"ARGH! GERROUF!"

Corvus felt himself pinned against the wall, then he broke the grip and swung around. About to draw his knife, he stopped at the sight of the others face.

"Argus?....What are you doing here?"

"Corvus.....thank god I finally found you. Listen, I'd love to have a nice sit down to chat about our being old friends, but you have places to be, specifically not here. Remember that merchant you killed? Turns out he had superiors, and they are gonna call down an almighty whuppin' on you if you don't leave the country."

What? Leave the county.....I can't do that.....

"Leave? And go where? This is where I grew up Argus, I don't appreciate being shoved off like some worthless jack."

"Your going to Port Silver. It's not safe here anymore Corvus, they'll catch you if you stay here. They already burned down Dupou's Tavern down on the West road. Trust me, for old times sake."

Argus looked Corvus in the eyes, then turned around and vanished into the alleyway. Corvus stood awhile in thought, then turned on his heel and ran, towards the shipyards, and a new journey to begin.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
So...this is Port Silver. Either I'm going to make be one very rich jack here, or my body is going to turn up in some alley with the throat slit....my kind of town.

Corvus watched in wry humor at the bustling mass of humanity surging below as he jumped off the ship. It had been a long trip, nearly 2 months, but he was finally here. Corvus walked into the crowd, watching the various and diverse characters. After about 10 minutes he spied a small bench with a tree shading it, and headed to sit down.

This little trip might be fun now. Thnk of all the opportunities I'll have. Gambling, drink, and thousands of women. What could go wrong?

A shadow blocked Corvus's face.

"Skulls, what do you want?"

The stranger just smiled, then reached into his pocket and withdrew a fat golden coin.

"What I want is to make you rich beyond your wildest dreams."

Corvus looked with awe upon the gold, then slowly picked it up and examined it.

"Real gold.....my my......And what would promote such generosity, jack?"

The stranger shrugged and spoke.

"I represent a group known as the Collective. We are a group of very powerful individuals, who are always looking for extraordinary people to join our ranks. You, Corvus Dedamus, are very extraordinary."

Uh-oh....can't remember telling this jack my name. This be bad juju demon tricks o be sure.

"And how do I know I can trust you? You're just some guy off the street?"

The man shrugged again.

"You can't really. All you can do is accept my offer or reject it. It's a gamble, Corvus."

Corvus mulled it over, weighing the odds, the consequences, the possible winnings. The stangers face began to show impatience.

"I'm on a tight schedule that I must keep. Are you in or not?"

This is a very bad idea, I shouldn't do this.

"Deal!"

As Corvus grabbed the mans hand, a searing pain ran through his body, driving a black nail of hate into his head. He collapsed and started to convulse on the ground. The man simply watched in amusment.

"Don't worry, the pain will wear off in...oh, about 3 hours. Goodbye until then, I'll come see you again when your powers manifest."

The man dissolved into a cloud of black smoke, and the air was silent except for the sounds of the city....and the screaming of Corvus.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Both. He only cheats when he really needs a card. Say, he started with two aces, he cheated one out of one guy and he picked up one.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Ow...ow...ow...ow........ow. That was rough. I think my spleen split in half, lit on fire, and lodged itself next to my heart for a moment back there....owowowowow. My brain feels like a drank a barrel of bad mead and ate a plate of rotten meat. This is almost as bad as the time I lost my mangos. That was a fun night wasn't it?.....

Absorbed by his thoughts, Corvus didn't notice where he was wandering. Walking into an alleyway, he also failed to notice the 7 armed men who surrounded him with greedy looks on their faces until he ran into the largest, who smiled evilly at him.

"Weel, looky what we gots here boys, a dreamer boy. Looks rich too. What've you gots to say for yerself, boy? Walkin' inta me like tha'? You coulda hurt me, boy. I think you owes us some payback fer your...incosideration.....don't he boys?"

The men around him chuckled and stroked their weapons. Corvus grimaced and pondered what to say.

"Listen, my good jacks, I see no reason why we can't be reasonable men here. I've been having a rough day so far, so I'll tell you what. You leave now and I won't hurt you."

The men around him burst into outrageous laughter at this, then the ugly one (well, they were all ugly) spoke again.

"We gots us a right terrifyin' warrior right here, boys. I thinks we should run 'way in fear frum his nice big sword he gots on him.....what? He doesn't gots a sword? Weel then, let's just kill him and take 'is purse."

My day just keeps getting better and better. What next? Maybe th spirit of mad uncle Adrian will arise from the grave to spray me with powder of frog liver. That was always so much fun....

Corvus dodged the first blow that came towards him, grabbed the man's arm, ducked under it, and snapped it behind the mans back. He pulled out one of his knives and hit another one square in the forehead, and swept another off his feet before the big ugly one came at him with an axe. Pulling out his other knife, he was able to deflect one of the blows, but another one jumped on his back and began belaboring his head with a club.

OW! That is not helping my headache!

Kicking big ugly in the groin, he fell onto the man on his back, winding him, and rolled off. He lost his knife in the process however, and was backed into a corner. The 5 remaining men got up slowly and walked towards him, bald hate showing on their faces. Big ugly looked a little winded from the groin kick, but he looked like he was about to murder a a few hundred people.

So...this is how it ends. Killed by ugly people. Why, why? I'm too young, handsome, and skilled to die!

Just as the men were about to attack, a figure dropped down between Corvus and them. He punched one in the face with a baton and lashed out with his opposite foot, landing a kick on one of the mens bellies. The distraction was enough that the men lost their concentration and Corvus stabbed 2 of them before they could react. Wiping the blood off his blades, he turned to face the stranger.

"My thanks jack. Didn't need your help, I was doing just fine."

The stranger just smiled comically. Quite flamboyantly, he was dressed as a jester in blue and red, with a hat that had 3 peaks with bells on them. Hopping onto his right foot, he spoke.

"Oh yes, 7 to one is very fair odds. You handled yourself admirably if I do say so myself. Quite good with those knives of yours too, I see. Have any previous experience?"

"I know how to kill people if that's what you mean."

The jester smiled again.

"Well then. Would you like to have a job? I'm sure I can get you a job. Just be careful not to go near the weasels, they bite."

Yes, this one is definetley mentally stable. Be careful and back away slowly.

"No, I don't want a job, just somewhere to spend the night. I've had a rough day today."

"Oh yes, yes, we have a top notch medic back at camp. He'll fix you up if you take the job, free of charge too! Come on, when else do you get to join the circus?"

Corvus raised his eyebrows at this, and thought the matter over.

This guy may be mad, but I do need a medic and a good place to stay. A circus would have use of my talents, and they travel around alot.....what the nether, I'll do it.

Corvus and the jester strided off with the jester constantly talking.

"Oh, you'll love it at the circus. Just remember two things. Don't play with the tigers and stay away from the weasels...they bite."

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
"King of Fools. I win again. That teach you somethin' boy?"
The young Corvus smiled up at his father with the kind of devotion only a child can muster.
"Yes dad. It means that there's not a jack on the planet that can beat you at cards."
Marcus Dedamus laughed at that, then tickled under his son's arms.
"Is that so? Well, you've been catching up to me so fast, I might just have to tickle it out of you!"
They collapsed into a pile of giggling limbs, out of breath and happy.

Knock, knock, knock.

Marcus answered the door. As he caught sight of the man there, the smile slipped from his face.
"Adrian....what is it?"
The other man's face was tight with worry.
"There's no time Marcus. The king's men will be here any minute to kill you. We have to get out now.....I don't respect our Lord Sylvester any more than you, but you made a fool of him when he challenged you to a game of Sabres and gambled away his crown."
Marcus's face filled with anger, fear, and concern. Pacing momentarily, he came back to the door.
"Come on Corvus, we're getting out of here."

As the 3 of them struggled to get what few possessions they were bringing to the wagon outside, a large number of men rode up. Marcus pushed Corvus into Adrian's arms, passing him a look of desperate meaning. The lead horseman dismounted and walked up. Corvus watched fearfully, tears silently streaming down his cheeks.
"Marcus Pyrago Dedamus, you are herebye charged with treason, insulting royalty, and theft. If you beg for your life before your rightful lord, he may just let you go with your head still on....What will it be?"

Marcus didn't waste any time answering.
"Listen, you worthless slimey excuse for the thrice cursed son of a barren whore, you can go back and tell that crackpot king of yours to jump off his own battlements. I don't get on my knees for no man."
The horseman just smiled, drew his sword, and chopped Marcus's head off, while Corvus screamed.

"Daaaad! Daaaaad! NOOOO! DAAAAD!"

The horsemen remounted and drove off, leaving the little boy there, pleading with his father to please wake up daddy, I love you.....don't leave me....

"Don't leave me....don't leave me...."

Corvus woke up slowly from his dream, the horror of his past still fresh upon his mind. Wincing with fresh pain and old memories, he limped over to the washbin.

I hate dreams....I really do.

Relatively woken up, he strolled out into the circus camp. Chaos was the rule around here. Bards played, fire dancers practiced with balls of flame, and jugglers juggled balls, knives, and apples in a confusing blur. Strolling to the main tent, Corvus sat in front of the leader of the circus, one blind archer named Korrog.

"Sleep well?"

Corvus just shook his head, then took a long swig from some mead he picked up on the counter.

"Not really....I have yet to thank you jacks for the aid you gave me yesterday. I would've been deader than a jackrabbit in July if it wasn't for you. That and the offer of this job makes it seem like I owe you....which I don't find very appealing."

The man smiled, and then rolled out a map.

"Well, if you're going to be part of the circus, you need to be where we're perfoming, don't you?"

Stabbing a knife down in a spot, Korrog went to go get some more mead. Corvus leaned over to get a better view of the map.

Tauredal.

Oh goody. Trees are ever so fun when you're drunk.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
The travelling circus is an interesting place. Fire dancers, sword swallowers, jugglers and fools galore, riff raff, streetrats, and exotic animals. And among all of this chaos is little old me....watching the world go by. I could get used to this. I'm almost perfectly content....except for that spot on my arm.

Corvus rolled up his sleeve again. A black, shiney lump about the size of a 5 radiant coin sat on his arm. Little tendrils extended out beyond the borders. He rolled his sleeve back down and brooded.

Just my luck.....it's probably some type of cancer or sickness...or it could even demonic.....that Collective jack did touch me right about there....

Absorbed by his thoughts, Corvus almost didn't notice a tall, blonde elf standing over him. Looking up, he saw the stranger was smiling slightly at him.

"It isn't very often we have have the pleasure of a travelling circus come to our small corner of the world...rides and games galore. Though I must say, what is it that you do exactly?"

Corvus grinned and tilted his hood back.

"Well, you can't mount me like a horse if that's what you're wondering jack. As for what I do....I play card games. If you beat me in a hand, you win something special."

The elf raised his eyebrows, then sat down and leaned forward.

"Interesting. And what game would we play?"

Corvus grinned, then began to deal.

"Have you ever heard of Bluff the Count?"

The elf's smile widened. Arranging his cards, he layed down 2 down.

"2 Aces"

Corvus grinned, then lay his card down.

"1 Two"

"1 Six"

"2 Fours"

"3 Queens"

Corvus raised his eyebrow at that.

"Trying to bluff the count?"

The elf looked slighly miffed, then lay down more cards. The game went back and forth, until the elf lay down a Count.

"As the first count layed, I win."

Corvus frowned, then took out a small package from his pocket.

"Here. Your special prize. Hope you enjoy that lump of silver."

The elf unwrapped the package, then uttered a startled scream, even though all the package contained was a small silver pendant. Corvus started and reached for his knife.

"What, what is it!?"

The elf looked at him with eyes showing increduality and intense anger. Holding the pendant, he turned towards Corvus.

"What kind of a person are you that you would give away a pendant with the crest of the noble Saeradan family on it in a card game, and not just any pendant either! This is the pendant that belonged to my daughter....I would kill you now, but that I do not have a sword..."

Corvus began to protest at that.

"Well, I got news for you....that pendant is mine, I choose what I want to do with it. Besides the fact it belonged to my mother Lilian, it holds no value for me, and frankly my pockets are somewhat empty at the moment."

The elf looked shocked, his mouth hanging open for several seconds while he blinked 6 times. Corvus just stood there with his fists clenched, ready to fight. Finally the elf looked back up at him.

"Lilian is the name of my daughter. I am Forest Lord Tantara Saeradan, patriarch of the Saeradan family....which makes you my grandson."

Oh my.....I did not see that coming.