Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Upcoming Once more unto the breach - IC Basis and the other half of info

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
This is a more off the cuff writeup than originally planned as I got some emails relating to work stuff that needed attention between setting up posts.

An actual IC announcement will be forthcoming once we've gotten some organization going, but I digress - this is some how and why this event chain is happening.

Background:

A:
1) Some external voices whispered things to a fellow known as Cilan (According to him, gods), which caused him to get the idea to pick up rocks that protected Altera.

2) By the time we figured out this was ultimately a bad thing, it was irreversible.

3) The end result of this whole set of things was the Shoreless Gulf swallowing up our previous realm, and us moving.

This is the second time the Shoreless Gulf has interceeded to 'help', the first of which was the flooding of Port Silver.

It is, if not the most likely scenario, not a bad assumption to think that the thing will try this /again/ where we are now, eventually.

Therefore, it behooves us to think of where else we could possibly go, in the event the next continent floods. There is, after all, a limit, to the number of times we can run, and the number of places that can flood.

One of the objectives of this mission is to see if it is possible to create a sustained settlement in the otherwise hostile Nether, to serve as a backup in the event of calamity, and all else failing.

The second, is if that can be achieved, to use this position as a launching point for ventures deep into the Nether, a place between worlds, to see if, after long travels, we can find another world. That will be a backup plan, made by us mortals, for us mortals, with no gods or superbeings to tell us otherwise.

B:
As a result of the consequences to (A), we are in a world where spirits can venture in and possess the bodies of the dead. Apparently the otherwise wise and decently aforethought folks that set up the protection in the first place saw fit to keep it safe in rocks in a way we could break by picking them up, and not leave us at least an instruction booklet, or a warning sticker. As it stands, it looks likely so far that, well, that's the entirety of it.

Eventually, as it stands, the undead will eventually follow us, as the spirits are attracted to life.

They have come to our realm and messed us up, badly. It seems prudent upon us to return the favor.

The second goal of this mission is to create, essentially, /bait/ - something drawing the spirits to us, far easier to get to than where the majority of our people are - as a delaying tactic, as the hope remains that we eventually discover how the heck to bring back what used to protect us. Not only does it draw them to us, but to us in a way where we can permanently kill them if they transgress.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
The How:

The plan is to use the fact that our foes are ultimately spirits against them, and primarily utilize very old school pact magic (The stuff that powers Enchanted items) against them.

1) We construct a depot or fortress on our world, ready supplies, and construct a portal.

2) We rig that portal, and the surrounding immediately-proximate area, to blow, or otherwise short out, and definitively kill anything inside it, if a spirit passes through the portal, or some equivalent contingency.

3) In one smooth motion, those who would participate spin up the portal, enter, and close it behind them.

4) The folks that are willingly participating swear a proper Oath to protect the site. The way this works is that the portal and the constructions and buildings will be protected as long as at least one person is alive and ready to defend it. The price of this, is that anything that would want to venture through the portal is immediately informed of this fact, and of those who would stop it, the instant it arrives on the site. It is an effect that obligates oneself to defend their work, by deed and by necessity.

5) The binding of this Oath is paid for by the restriction of the one putting it in place - that makes them /unable/ to swear the same oath, nor to contribute to the defense. In essence - I am deliberately, specifically, writing myself out of participating in the events or in any way contributing to whether or not people succeed or fail outside of being able to be spoken with or giving advice. These events are not about me, they're to give you guys a challenge and something to do. Also, I kinda have to run them, so this is my IC reason I'm not participating too.

6) When the site is fully constructed it will extend this protection in a small radius around itself, powered by the acts of having defended it, and by the nature of the place. Also, the very fortress will consume the spirits that attack it and are defeated for power, to make sure they don't come back.

7) The spirits will attack when the portal is on, and leave when the portal is turned off, every time, until the campaign is won, or lost, because otherwise there's no point and no gain for them. This means that the people participating will need to think very carefully about when and how they plan to resupply, or otherwise plan to create renewable goods using only the resources of the nether.

Goals in Setting things up this way:

1) Provide a prexisting, non deus-ex-machina justification in the event folks doing lore decide they need to do another world swap.

2) Provide something to do in the meanwhile while hopefully waiting for permanent world story resolution of threads left dangling. They were interesting threads, I would like to see them tied together.

3) Provide a reasonable, justified (IE makes sense In-character) and dignified way to both retire my legacy character as well as provide the option for others to do so as well, in a way that minimalizes the actual story focus on their leaving. (IE, Venturing into the unknown, looking for new places for people to inhabit, and to send word back.)

Last edited:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
That's mooostly everything. As always, feel free to ask questions and so on. We'll be working out a couple of the details together as a group, such as where to host the portal.

Doesn't matter much to me as long as it's functional, but folks may want to discuss where works best.