Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lysander's Heartstone Handbook

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Title Page said:
Lysander’s Heartstone Handbook
Documentation of Arcane Mutations upon the Mortal Framework Internum
Writ by Lysander, conducted with the aide of Alyssa Ithildran & Quill
Page I said:
Foreword:
This document follows the internal processes of Rangers’ Guild testing following a public incident. Any attestations of onlookers outside of the Guild will be credited and are encouraged to come forward for the sake of fairness. Further addendum may be made as a result, in future additions.

Other witness accounts of this phenomenon are welcome.

L
Page II said:
Dossier: Heartstones
Focus & Casting
The performative tool for eviscism is the “focus”, traditionally a weapon (but not limited to such) that serves to discharge spells cast by the wielder. The discharge is channeled through the weapon itself, but sourced to the “heartstone”, a gem utilized as an arcane tether (possibly similar to the “Anchor Arcana” and other ornate crafts) that draws the wielder’s vis and pulses it through their focus at times of cast. This effect cannot be achieved by another that has procured an eviscism focus; however, should another eviscist attune to it as their own (and cut-off the original wielder) the effects of the item should transfer (pending experimentation).

The focus exists as a means for the caster to safely wield “vis”, a consuming energy that exists as the spine of eviscism as a magick. The ability to tap into the latent vis within the mage’s environment is what makes an eviscist, most often harnessed as a tangible effect within the current world: arcs of lightning, motes of fire, jets of cold, forceful impact, magnetic repulsion, reverberating sound, and fluctuating light and dark. The hidden, final variant, accessible to only a select few eviscists is “vis” itself. This energy appears predominantly as scarlet light.

Known Wielders of “Vis”

• Jaden Seeker
  • Joseph Seeker
  • Arvyth
  • Frost
  • Ced
Vislingr
A supposed titanic being capable of harnessing vis and a player during a previous realm-wide crisis. The creature, I theorize, functions as a focus in-and-of itself, a trait that can be seen in some eviscists after the serpent’s appearance.
Quoth Nikolche:

“As we progressed, we realized this was not land we treaded upon, but beast. A beast named Vislingr. The very beast who holds the greatest possible reservoir of vis in our known universe[citation required].
[...] Vislingr is the de facto vis titan, and it lies in a deep slumber. Over a crook of its flesh, we found a font of its nigh-infinite power and in this font was a disciple. One mortal, his being transformed by estranged power. His past abandoned, now he is “Vislaugr”.
He provided explanation for the chaos we faced and warned of the destruction should Vislingr awaken. I did the only sensible thing[citation required] and stole a scale of Vislingr’s shedded hide before we went through a return portal.”

The current state of the beast is unknown, as is the prospect of others like it.
Page III said:
Dossier: Internum
Post-Ascent
Following the ascent of “Magic” (to be dubbed ‘Felicite’ for ease of confusion), waves of arcane mutations have spread across the realm. One most noticeable is the crystallizing of eviscists’ hearts: first noted in Jaden Seeker, who experienced harsh chest pains at the time of a meeting. It was briefly mentioned in turn by Eirlys that hearts of crystal are now a component to most or all eviscists.

The heart, if crystal, would not be subject to spells like the “luminous gem” spell in my own grimoire, so long as it is attached to a living construct.

Notable as chest pains and an irregularity of the heartbeat, both of which may be confused as other sources. One must note that this has only been observed in eviscists, but it may be possible to befall others.

I myself am subject to this phenomenon: despite being sparked as an animancer, the later adoption of a power traditional to eviscists led to what I must assume is this mutation. The feeling of kinship with other gemstones is indicative of this, including mystic components such as an amber-petrified beetle within my possession. To paraphrase the witch Maebh, the trinket was divine and is thusly resilient to the arcane.

This kinship, if left untapped, will leave the mage entirely unaffected by proximity to these stones.

The Lyslingr Hypothesis
The hypothesis mentioned under the Vislingr entry is that the heart now exists as a literal heartstone within the eviscist: their own font of vis now channeling this power through the body like a sort of catalyst to the arcane. Similar mutations may be observable in the other arcane arts, but have not been noted at this time; however it should be stated that eviscism is the only magick that relied previously on a purely external device in order to be used. The next-nearest would be the temporary communion with elementals and other planar creatures in animancy, but those exist with their own wills rather than as tools.

If the internal frame of an eviscist is now warping to resemble that of a focus itself, then the possibility for further mutations within eviscists becomes something to actively observe. There may instead be other changes that have not yet been noticed, or more to come. The full extent of the mutations following Felicite’s ascent are unknown, with some inconsistent variations being visible in most, if not all mages.

Perhaps more severe changes will come with time.
Page IV said:
Dossier: Sublimation & Rejection
Trance
Aforementioned kinship with unique gemstones may allow the eviscist the ability to enter a trance with them. This period of focus requires the holding of the stone, and may take a long period of concentration uninterrupted in order to perform. Upon the trance’s completion, the eviscist will experience one of two things: sublimation of the foreign stone, or rejection from it.

Sublimation
The second attempt at my own testing with the amber led to the item being absorbed into my personage. While not initially apparent, the act can grant modification of arcane ability to the mage. Further testing is required in order to properly observe the effects of mundane stones as well as grounds for what in a gem can be absorbed.

The red amber, previously able to draw insects to the hair of the holder, now stains all light spells to be the vermillion sheen of the stone, with dancing locusts and beetles composed of light swarming around it. While in the crystalline ridge, this drew other insects as well; however this may have been the result of the latent arcane ties that already existed within the insects or the existing nature of insects to be drawn to light (the “moth to a flame” phenomenon).

Rejection
The result of the first attempt was disintegration; as a consequence of my own death, I unfortunately cannot provide comprehensive notes as to the exact feeling or appearance of the act, but witness accounts state that I turned to dust, possessions left in my wake. As a result of the evaporation, I was required to revive in order to continue my research.

Other mages that would attempt to sublimate a magic gemstone should be warned that the process is dangerous, with an observed one-in-two success rate thus far. While the stone may be unharmed, the death of the mage is a drastic consequence and should be regarded with utmost reverence when deciding whether or not to induce the potentially fatal trance.

Last edited:

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
I really don't want to make a minecraft book.