Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lanarians, (Lanarian Elves) If you say no, could you please post why down below?

Do you like this race idea?

• Total voters

Spark

Broken
The reason for me saying no is because I don't like the idea of an aquatic race, however this is just my opinion and it seems very well thought/written out and detailed. I'd populating some of the lesser played races rather than introducing a new one.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Same reasons as Spark.

Aquatic races are weird (and up being mermaids) and I'd rather have more dwarves.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
We've had two instances of fish people and it always ends up as whimsical mermaids. Something about fish trails attracts entirely the wrong kind of person, with some exceptions.

hothhorn

Lord of Altera
Well, I could write out the water breathing, and keep the fins. This could still allow them to hunt in water, or is it the race as a whole that doesn't appeal to you?
I understand your reasoning of adding a new race though, we do have a lot of underplayed races. I had figured adding a new one would be somewhat interesting.
Again, I can write out the water breathing, as to avoid the whole "Whimsical Mermaid" problem.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Nah, it's just that fish people have been pulled in twice and failed twice. No other race has been given more than one chance and when fish keep failing there's no reason to do it again.

I can tell you worked really hard on this. However, I'm not convinced this is something that should be implemented into HW. Voting no.

hothhorn

Lord of Altera
Nah, it's just that fish people have been pulled in twice and failed twice. No other race has been given more than one chance and when fish keep failing there's no reason to do it again.
Well, I understand. I would rewrite the race in a more acceptable way, but I don't know how to change them from being aquatic to more of a land being. We've got pretty much every kinda land being there could be without delving into the super strange. (AKA things inspired by dark souls monsters, just as an example) At least what I've seen. Personally, I'd like to see more colour and culture from other races, not saying there isn't some already. I just don't see anyone playing a really outlandish and strange character, and I was hoping a new race would help facilitate that.

Mostly, I've seen cultures and sub cultures come from things that already exist today, or have existed in the past, and not something new and unique. Granted; there's nothing wrong with having things like this, but I would like to see someone or something have an entirely different culture and set of rules for engagement, rather than things we have seen conventionally. New things to experience, and new ways to view a specific topic, no matter how strange or outlandish it seems to be. Take their view on gold for example; many people view gold as a kind of wealth and material object, whilst this culture and race view gold as a form of merit, as in a meaning behind the possession. Not just as a gift, but something they have strives to earn and hold onto.

I would like to view my idea of this race as a form of social experiment to see how people react when their material objects become less material and more of an emotional/meaningful object. Iron and gold where just the two kinds of examples I took into development as I figured they both had contrasting values. Iron is strong, heavy, and also crude whilst gold is soft, light and often beautiful in it's make. Which is how I formed the Merit and Demerit system. Iron was supposed to symbolize the weight of one's guilt on their shoulders, in the most physical sense possible, whilst gold was supposed to represent achievement and self/social esteem. When my character was with the Engems, he had seen Chalken walking around with gold and jewelry. I asked him why he wore it oocly, and he said that it was mearly to show that it meant absolutely nothing, and that anyone can get it. That, brought a question to my mind; "What if it -did- really mean something?". So, I put that to work.

I wanted to make a Civil, yet tribal race. One in which they where able to achieve anything they set their mind to, because they had the intelligence to do so, however decided not to because they know what they had, worked for them. Instead of jumping into every new thing they could think of, they would take it slow and steady. Trying not to jump the gun as they study, making assumptions left right and center. Their culture was supposed to be the kind that believed in the saying "It is not true, unless it is proven true through the gods, science, or otherwise and, it must be able to be done over and over again."

Baskallians where supposed to be the kind that worked with their hands, moving rocks and creating farmlands as well as many other trades. Lanarians where supposed to be the middle ground, where people could pretty much be whomever they wished to be; such as a scholar, or a mill-right(as an example). Malchi, where there to be the ones who planned, and set in the stones of their society with architecture and art. They may hold no emotion in their speech but it was to come out in their own way. Malchi where meant to be the ones writing up the blueprints for buildings, and the ones who always tried their hardest where they could. (Even though, their numbers would be -significantly- less than both races, even cut in half) In fact, seeing more of action from Silas, I would go so far as to say all of the Malchi's are taking after his example. (As Agnew would say: "They're all a bunch of nerds")

I Would love to put this culture into another race, but in my mind making this race instead of just a new subculture... just -works- for me. I realize it could easily fit in with elven or human culture, but I don't want to use that as a scapegoat, we have much too many humans and elves as is, (Mainly in terms of race ratio, third most being Caparii, and I do not think it would fit in with them.)

So, just to restate... I will gladly change any and all relations this race has to mermaids and fish people, but I would like to keep them looking as they are. (Blue skin, silver hair, tribal clothing at least for Baskallians, and pointed fish/fin like ears.)

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I'm activating the staff veto power on this one as a race. What you're describing now could just as easily be a culture or subculture of an existing race, which is exactly what the lore mandate is for. Players are free to create lore-compliant cultures for whatever they like, and with enough detail it can even get accepted into server lore without having to rewrite a fair bit of lore regarding races. If you want to rewrite this as a subculture of Elves, by all means go ahead. The forest elves in particular would be an excellent parent for a non-materialistic group of people, and I recommend you take a look at that lore.

The lore mandate, by the way, doesn't accept new races at this time because the current ones are underpopulated, and we should work to fill out the existing ranks before creating new ones.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
This is in fan-fic Baron :p

I think he was looking for suggestions on how to improve!

hothhorn

Lord of Altera
This is in fan-fic Baron :p

I think he was looking for suggestions on how to improve!
Nah, Baron is right, I was going to eventually going to suggest it as a race. I wouldn't mind it as a subculture, but I don't think it would fit in with any other current race, and the ones that it does fit would be elves. Which, there is (in my oppinion) Much too much, we need to fill out other races just like Baron said. Perhaps this would fit with halflings? But I'm not sure halflings fit with the Tribal theme.

Last edited:

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Erm... He has been working on this for awhile to be accepted as a new race, not a fanfic
Then why is it here and not in lore submissions? I understand that he wants it to be a race, I can read, however instead of blowing him off completely suggest changes that make the concept look nicer, fit in better and more fun to play.

hothhorn

Lord of Altera
Then why is it here and not in lore submissions? I understand that he wants it to be a race, I can read, however instead of blowing him off completely suggest changes that make the concept look nicer, fit in better and more fun to play.
It has to be perfected first. Also, If I put it into lore submissions there's going to be more hustle and bustle then what is needed.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
I'm activating the staff veto power on this one as a race. What you're describing now could just as easily be a culture or subculture of an existing race, which is exactly what the lore mandate is for. Players are free to create lore-compliant cultures for whatever they like, and with enough detail it can even get accepted into server lore without having to rewrite a fair bit of lore regarding races. If you want to rewrite this as a subculture of Elves, by all means go ahead. The forest elves in particular would be an excellent parent for a non-materialistic group of people, and I recommend you take a look at that lore.

The lore mandate, by the way, doesn't accept new races at this time because the current ones are underpopulated, and we should work to fill out the existing ranks before creating new ones.
There are too many physical differences as it is to be a subculture- he'd need to stick to a core race template...

Serfla707

Noble of Altera
Nah, Baron is right, I was going to eventually going to suggest it as a race. I wouldn't mind it as a subculture, but I don't want to fit it with any other current race, and the ones that it does fit would be elves. Which, there is (in my oppinion) Much too much, we need to fill out other races just like Baron said. Perhaps this would fit with halflings? But I'm not sure halflings fit with the Tribal theme.
Hello! I'm very new - not white listed yet, in fact- but I've been reading up on Halflings for my character and I think this actually sounds like it suits well as a subrace/subculture. The caravaner Halflings are already organized into clans (as far as I can tell from people talking about them - the lore seems to just say matriarchal), which easily turns into a tribal organization. And their nomadic nature could lead them to become materialistic traders - as it seems to have - but it also would make sense for them to come to value meaning more than material.

You might spin it as a group that split off after the last Exodus (or before that, maybe because they were afraid of being turned into Greylings?), and became obsessed with the sea and somewhat scornful of the land bound races' materialism (or perhaps reverse it - their scorn led them to adopt the sea). Dislike of the other races would also allow you to keep the folk tales - they'd rather have originated in the sea - even if you had to somewhat change the true backstory.

Just my thoughts on the matter if you wanted to turn it into a Halfling subculture!