Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Gabriel Phorvuld Zotikos - The Wandering Jarl

Zotikos

Settling in Altera
Name: Gabriel Phorvuld Zotikos

Nickname/Alias: Zotikos, Phor

Race: Nord

Height: 6' 3"

Weight: 18 stones

Hair: Pale blonde, sometimes long with a braid. Always wears a beard.

Eyes: Grey blue

Skin: Pale undertone, but weathered from excess labor and exposure

Identifying Marks: Dark circles under his weary eyes

Appearance: A man appearing older than his years with light eyes that look surprisingly dark. He has a dark demeanor which he covers with polite courtesies and actions of good deeds. He either dresses in mails, furs, and leathers or his white and gold uniform that he gained during his crusades.

Strengths: An extremely calm demeanor when facing hard decisions. He is not prone to rash decisions but will not tolerate insults either. A stark man born to rule during combat and from a keep, he honors the old ways, and the old gods. And he is stubborn in his traditions.
His strengths are his trained abilities, and his cool head. His strong arm wields an axe fiercely in battle and his mind and voice keeps his men and himself alive.

Weaknesses and Fears: He has no powers, no magics, and no abnormal super human abilities. He is a Norse man. A very tough one, but mortal and fallible nonetheless.
He is also a stubborn man. Stubborn, sometimes, beyond wisdom. Many times he has invited misfortune at the price of honor and duty, two things he would never betray.

Religion: He pays homage to the old (Norse) gods as well as reveres the gods of the realm

Profession: He is a Jarl first and foremost, a leader of men. The land he now rules is his second and smaller, though he is glad to have it. The first being an entire realm, which was stripped from him, only to disappear into darkness and chaos.

The Childhood of Phorvuld
Born of a from a Jarl, named Auvuld, of small stock in a small land. His father’s lands were not coveted and no jealousies or rivalries existed as his father’s lands were not prosperous enough for anyone else to want. However, his father ruled the land well and people survived and thrived were they should not. The men hunted game and the women gathered berries and roots. The ground of the fief was hard and frozen, yet crops were rotated yearly anyways and a small harvest came each year. Soon the town had a small surplus to sell and lived with a few luxuries.
Phorvuld was the first son of five children, one other boy and three sisters, and meant to inherit his father’s position. At age of four he began training in court, by shadowing his father, and practicing in the training fields with wooden swords. He began duties at age of eight, writing letters, assisting the warriors with their armor, and continuing his trainings. By fourteen he was considered a lordling, expected to hold all the responsibilities of his father when he was absent.
His mother died one winter after his coming of age of a hard chill. Phorvuld prayed hard during this time and sought solace in the Gods, hoping they could consul what men’s words could not. His father was not distant but did not make his emotions apparent and Phorvuld thought it his duty to do the same. It was during this hard time that the only enemies Auvuld had attacked. The Ender goaded giants into raiding the land. Golem’s of snow and stone pressed attacks at Phorvuld’s father’s lands, and Auvuld moved out to intercept. Auvuld’s Master of Arms urged Auvuld to hold at the keep but the stubborn lord insisted on marching out to protect his furthest lands. It was in this battle that Phorvuld lost his last parent, and most of what was now his army.
For two years Phorvuld commanded the hold against the siege. For two years his people starved, fought, and died under his command. A bard’s song recalls the two year siege and its tragic last moments.

Boy of young, turned to man
Came to age, when battle began.
He raised his banner on the keep
For two or more years, he did not sleep.

Phorvuld, Phorvuld, the staller of woe!
Phorvuld, Phorvuld, you fought back the cul’!
You fought for their lives without care for your own,
But forever you’ll sit alone on your throne.

His men all dead, laid in the ground
Exhausted and broken,he was found.
Tragedy forever, it follows his heart,
Left alone, from his home he did part.

Phorvuld, Phorvuld, the staller of woe!
Phorvuld, Phorvuld, you fought back the cul’!
You fought for their lives without care for your own,
But forever you’ll sit alone on your throne.

He’ll wander this earth, to slaughter the End
Attacking their home, with none left to defend.
Seeking vengeance, for those he did love
In Vallhallah they wait for him up above.

The bard sang of the loss of his home… By the time of his seventeenth name day he had seen over two years of war, and the murder of his entire village. He took two arrows to the left thigh and a thrown spear to the right shoulder before passing out. When he awoke he found that his men had smuggled him out of the keep only to be ambushed in the forest. His soldiers were slaughtered around him, all killed in the process of slaying their assailants. By the time he had the strength to make it back to the keep he found it razed and burning. That night he allowed himself to weep for his family and the people he lead. That was the only night….

To be continued...

Zotikos

Settling in Altera
Phorvuld walked from his home, a bitter and cold man, searching for satisfaction from revenge. He wandered the frozen woods of his home, slaughtering any small bands of giants, golems, or Ender that he thought he could handle. Though no matter how many he slew the pain only grew. With every fall of his axe or swing of his sword he remembered his brother sparring with him in the yards. Every time he made a fire to camp for the night he remembered camping with his sisters. Every time he heard the drums of battle his mother’s love of music came to mind. And more and more, with every day, he reminded himself of his father.

Soon, no matter how long he scoured the woods or how far he search, he could find no more enemies. He found track of them on a road, moving out. These tracks went on and on, and Phorvuld followed them until they just simple dispersed into the wilderness. Whether they lost their taste for battle, the End lost control of their minions, or the war was just simply over, he did not know. He simply cursed them for leaving him alone, for now he had no enemy to direct his rage to. So Phorvuld began to journey to the nearest town to find out what happened to his enemy.

To his surprise, Phorvuld found out that no other town had been attacked at all. His father’s fief being the only land to come under siege by the inglorious foes he fought against. And more to his rage he found out that no other lord had yet even rallied to fight against the End, claiming it wasn’t their fight, and they themselves hadn’t been attacked. Though there were those who disagreed with these lords, mainly those who lived in the far north, on the reaches of the great forests and wildernesses. These lands begged and pleaded for relief from the horrors that plagued their land, but were not heard. Phorvuld, being a lord without lands pledged himself to help rid the north of their burdens and hired mercenaries, sellswords, seekers of justice, and all sorts to sail with him and defend the lands against the horrors of the End and all else.

Sixty eight men set out with him on three long boats, heading against the strong winds of caution. Two ships and thirty seven men set to land four weeks later in a frozen and hard world. Below are accounts of Phorvuld himself on the journey and his first adventure.

We set to sea this morning, after making prayers to Odin for safe passage. I fear we did not bellow his name loud enough, as he seems not to have heard us. Three of the men fell overboard today when a tall wave washed over the ship side and took them to sea. They were lost in seconds. This sets an ominous tone for the journey and men already breathe whispers that Loki has cursed this journey. I am more apt to believe that Loki has cursed my life, but I could never let it show to my men. Doubt should never show from leaders. I’ll be sure to speak to the men tonight and lift their spirits with tales of glory and hordes of gold as large as a sea. They’ll need to be in high spirits, for our journey has just begun.

Five days to sea and we’ve started spotting visions in the sea. Fins, eyes, and suckled tentacles have been spotted by men all day long. Sea visions have rarely started so close to the shore, it bodes ill for the journey. My second in command, a seasoned knight who lost his liege in the Great War named Ser Kalikor, advised me to turn back to land that we might march north instead. But he is a man from the Southlands, and is new to the visions and the tricks the sea brings, I shall not turn the sails yet. If a longboat beached every time a sea monster was spotted then the sea would be empty of ships. We continue north.

Early this morning we lost five men to a Kraken. True as Odin’s beard the tentacles of the deep grabbed three sturdy men of the North off the oars and drug them to the sea. We hadn’t time to arm ourselves before the wretched creature surfaced and grabbed two men off another ship. I hurled a javelin towards its horrid beak and saw it imbed into one of its horrific eyes. The creature shrieked and squealed before returning to the blackness of the ocean. The men thundered a victory as they beat their chests and shields. I haven’t the heart to tell them the creature is merely wounded; I’ve commanded the men to keep weapons close at all times and distributed the ales of war to strengthen their courage. I only hope that it doesn’t take a ship next time it returns. I expect Ser Kalikor will wish to berate me for not heading his advice.

The Kraken returned in the night with no other purpose then to break the mast of one of our ships while we slept. No men were killed but the mast did break the arm of a man who slept beneath it. One of the men roared at me today that Loki had stored himself in one of ships and made it his mission to plague us. I’m prone to believe him, but he made it his goal to prove that it was my fault. I strapped him to the mast and had him lashed fifteen times. I fear it too late as the men have already heard his words and discontent stirs in their hearts. I will have to do something to win them back, I know what feat this is but I fear the losses it will bring.

I stirred the men this morning with ideas of casting Loki to the seas and promises of a keg and a fistful of coins to the man who slew the beast that tormented us. Damn Loki’s Kraken and his petty tricks. He’s cost me more men then I’d care to have lost at sea. The creature returned mid-day to feast upon his prey again, however, this time we were ready. Men had axes and javelin’s in hand as bubbles were breaking the surface. All the men were armed and some, the ones not accustomed to sea travel, armored. As if it knew that hatred boiled in our blood and steel comforted our hands, the creature refused to break surface. We saw signs of it for thirty minutes, yet it never rose. I waited and chastised some of the less patient men as they threw javelins into any stir of the ocean. Good steel sunk and men cursed for nearly an hour before it decided that its time had come. Thirty of the suckered arms lashed out and coiled around the left ship, flailing and ripping what it could. Some men went overboard instantly, some were immediately killed, but the rest picked up their steel and resolved to fight. I ordered my ship to move as if boarding the other, so as we could assist, and as we moved I could do nothing but watch as my men fought and died for chances at fame and glory. The knight Kalikor was in his mail and plates and fared the best against the beast but time and time again I imagined him falling into the deep and sinking faster than a rock. When in range the men on my boat unleashed a might barrage of javelins that buried themselves deep in the flimsy flesh of the overgrown squid. And as if it knew what happened, many of the tentacles shifted their attention to our boat. It was at that time I realized that the other boat had been sinking for quite some time now… and the only thing keeping it afloat were the tentacles that bound themselves to it. I ordered what men were on that ship to begin boarding my own. Many men didn’t make it across before it sank. Most were good swimmers, but even some of those were sucked down by the Kraken. We battled on through the day for many hours before Ser Kalikor, whom I barely managed to keep from falling off the boat, charged in shouting the name of his last lordship and slew the beast by skewering its head with a long and heavy spear. Hopefully it will rest for eternity at the bottom of the dark depths, never to return. I paid him his handful of coins and barrel of ale. I presented my men a champion that night but truly longed for another boat and more men. By the end of it all I counted only forty three men and of course just two of my boats… this is no victory, but I will present it as one.

Two men fevered today from their injuries, it is not likely that they’ll make it. We hit hard seas and thunder seemed to boom in our sales today. I feel that we’ve pleased Odin with our battle and we can expect fast travels.

It’s been nearly a week since I wrote. Three men died from fever, the two with injuries and another I did not know of. A wicked creature with blades and boils all over it appeared to me in the blackness of my cabin and warned me to turn back before the End claimed us all. It gave no parley and would not speak except to tell me to turn back. I slew it with quite an effort and told no one of it. I do not know what dark forces conspire against us but it gladdens me to see them scared enough to send a voice… or perhaps it was meant as an assassin.

We’ve had no incident for nearly a week, except one man went missing. The stories say that he walked into the sea of his own will but after examining the grizzly remains of the creature I slew in the cabin I realized that it was once a man. I fear for men if the corruption of the end can extend its hand so far. Though perhaps it is not as far as I think, every day we move north more and more and I am starting to think that we are nearing our destination.

I distributed the cloaks and the winter clothes. Damn ignorant men for not planning ahead. You tell a man he’s heading north for battle and he grabs his sword and shield but forgets his cloak and boots. Two men died of the cold already and I’ll see the End take us all before I let another one go. Our navigator tells me we near the port town of Seaice. Hopefully we can put foot to ground so that damn knight Kalikor will stop his whining for sturdy ground.

We’ve made it. Thank the Gods old and new. I live to meet the enemy in glorious combat. I only have thirty seven men, but it is enough. I will not be writing for some time now. There’s no room for quills and ink on the road, but if all goes to plan, bards will sing of the deeds instead.

Phorvuld met with the lord of Seaice that night and was given ten more men for his cause if he promised to march east and deal with a troll that was plaguing the roads and blockading any hopes of good trade. After two nights of drink and feasting Phorvuld gathered his men and began his march, in search of trolls. Many bards do sing of this tale and many others of his exploits. The named him the Woe of the End and his band they called the Grim Enders. Boasts of glory resounded around Phorvuld and his men as he slew countless horrors, trolls, sea monsters, demons, and even dragons. Though it was never enough for him. As soon as one creature fell, Phorvuld was in search of another. And soon his band of men was but fifteen devout followers seen as monster slayers, the others all being slain or as most gave up their lust for battle once their purses were filled. And the gold did continue to flow.

Eventually Phorvuld had so much money that he could raise a small army if he wanted to...