Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Erlewis (ERLGrey) New Application [Approved- solus]

Erlewis

Lord of Altera
Hello!

My Minecraft username is “ERLGrey”. Not a misspelling, but a pun on my initials, “ERL”. Also tea. Previously known as “erlewis1111”
I’m 17 this year, in my final year of high school, and trying to figure out procrastinating figuring out what I’m doing with my life. At this moment, I’m a reasonably proud resident of Canada.
I have read through the guides once again upon returning this time, and not just relying on old knowledge to carry me through. I’m considerate like that. I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the new lore additions. Kudos.
What else can I say... ? Fencing. Still doing that. I’m in my fourth year now, and have somewhat plateaued temporarily in my skill level. I still have a lot of fun doing it, despite that, and quitting would hardly help me push past that difficulty.
I’ve continued writing fervently, helped by a Creative Writing course motivating me to do some manner of writing at all times. I’ve begun to try my hand at poetry recently, and while I’m still undoubtedly a novice, I’m beginning to appreciate that side of writing culture.
Oh! Gaming! Right! Fallout 4 was released recently, and my Red Rocket garage is packed with power armour. I’m looking forward to having a chance to try some other games that have been released recently, like Star Wars: Battlefront (despite the mediocre reception it’s received so far), but for the time being, my money earned through babysitting my two younger brothers is largely going toward Christmas gifts for friends and family, and hoping they go over well.

My past experience with Hollowworld was excellent, but a plethora of reasons sent me away last time. Looking back, my problems that I consistently encountered with roleplay likely spawned from the fact that most of my characters were designed with some special little trait, trying to make them into my “special little snowflake”, as Deester has called it in past conversations. Naturally, as the idea of roleplaying games is to have a basic character who grows, this failed for all the characters that followed Erlewis. I’m crossing my fingers that simply allowing the world of Altera to shape my character, rather than trying to exert my will on the world will help this.
I suppose we’ll find out!

As for examples of my work… haven’t really got anything. My building skills have improved ever so slightly since I left, so I’m delighted to lend a hand if anyone wants help building, but massive construction projects are not my forte.

----
About your character:
Link to character profile here: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/fechin.35426/

The test

“It was a dark and stormy night… the candle in the middle of the table flickered, illuminating the faces of the men I was meeting there. There… the Elfish Dancer. The tavern in the part of the town where few dared to tread, and the ones who did… well, they were the ones who dared, indeed.

“There were four of us, of course. Aren’t there always? The holy man, the Cleric, there to hunt the beasts of the darkness for his righteous cause. The stalwart warrior, the Fighter, ready to draw his sword and charge into battle. The cunning and swift enigma, the Rogue, drawn by the lure of coin. And myself, of course, the Wiz-”

A sudden burst of laughter from a large Man standing in the corner of the Dainty Pig stopped Fechin’s story in its tracks. Fechin’s captivated audience wheeled around to find where the noise had come from, and quickly turned back around when they found their answer. The Man in the back was heavily muscled, arms bare despite the inclement weather out of doors, displaying the tattoos and scars that decorated their length.

The upper half of Fechin’s face had been shadowed by the hood of his cloak, and his story-voice was low and ominous, but as he yanked back his hood to see the Man in the back, his audience was surprised to note that he was little more than a young boy, and his voice now was less mysterious, and more annoyed than anything.

“What? You think I’m making this up? I’m a magician, swear on the Gods.”

The Man chortled darkly and leaned back, letting the large sword across his back ‘thunk’ gently against the inn’s wooden wall. The rain outside continued as the Man spoke up with a thick Northern accent.

“Ah know magicians, li’l one. Yer no magician. Ye make up yer stories abou’ Bravery an’ bein’ a Hero, jus’ because ye know those people are ou’ thar.

Fechin blinked, and then grinned knowingly at his audience.

“Sure, of course. I’m no magician. I’m nobody. That’s why I’m able to do this!”

His fingers twirled a deck of cards between them, drew four, all Aces. He grandly displayed them to his audience before flicking them, one at a time, at the four candles that sat between himself and his audience. Each of the four candles went out, wicks gently put out by the four cards. In the darkness, Fechin snapped his fingers, and to his audience it seemed as though a small flame hovered above his right thumb.

Lightly brushing his thumb over the candle wicks, Fechin seemed able to ignite all of the candles… but one. With a look of mock confusion on his face, he pointed to the card, the Ace of Clubs, that had brushed over the flameless candle. It had landed facedown on the stone floor, and Fechin nodded to the man near it. The man hesitantly raised it from the ground, and with an impressed look, he demonstrated it to the crowd. The Club had been replaced with a carefully painted orange flame. The card, it seemed, had transformed into the Ace of Flames.

Applause and cheers rose up from the crowd, and Fechin shot the Man a smug look. The Man let a sharp breath out through his nose, and when he spoke again, his voice was low and angry, with fury boiling just below the surface.

“You dare make a mock’ry o’ those ‘oo did fight? You DARE t’ pretend t’ be somethin’ yer not?”

The cheers had faded, and they quickly turned into screams as the Man drew his sword, rending the air in an angry swipe. He strode across the tavern in three strides as Fechin scrambled back in alarm and fear, his wooden chair clattering to the ground. The crowd scattered, bolting for the door. The Man kicked aside Fechin's chair, and seized the smaller man by the back of his cloak. Fechin tore free, and dashed out into the rain. The Man followed.

With the crowd watching in anxious alarm, Fechin attempted to run, only to slip in the mud. He attempted to stand again, but the Man had caught up to him. He seized Fechin by the throat and raised him into the air. As Fechin flailed, struggling for breath, a spent matchstick and the Ace of Clubs fell from his sleeves. The Man afforded a look of disgust at these small artifacts of Fechin’s performance, before turning his gaze back to Fechin. His eyes were mismatched, one red and one blue.

“Ye had bes’ figure it ou’ quick, li’l one.” His eyes glimmered with rage. “Yer no magician.” He spun, swinging Fechin at the mud.

Fechin remembered the ground rushing up to meet him, and then darkness.

Last edited:

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Hello- Welcome back Erlewis. A lot has changed in the past year- and since you've last been here. Magic has actually gone through a large change and is currently undergoing some more changes and an update. Magic is not as free as it was in the past- new characters have to actually seek out a teacher of magic in-game and in-roleplay in order to even begin a path of learning magic. That means- no one can freely have tattoos glow with arcane power at the moment. I'd suggest having a look through the Magic Lore and regulations again. To be sure you've read the Lore, I'll wait until you've tweaked your test before having another look through. Perhaps Alchemy could be something to look at.

Erlewis

Lord of Altera
Ah, yes. Perhaps I ought to have made myself more clear. My character isn't the one with the glowing tattoos. He's the one getting beat up by the one with the glowing tattoos. :D
Sorry for the miscommunication.
To clarify further... The intention of the story was to show a little bit of a transition from how I used to roleplay. (In trying to force these epic battles and abilities upon my characters and make them unrealistically powerful) to how I'm intending to play this time around: a far more mundane character who has less ability to exert his will over the world and is forced to let the world happen to him a lot more.
Anyway... that was the theme I was going for with that bit a of fiction.

Last edited:

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Aye- I'm aware the glowing tattoo man wasn't the character you intended to play- and I did forget to ask if Fechin's character card tricks/illusions had any indication of magic. And I see if that's what you're going for in terms of character and development- which is always interesting- though I'd like to be sure you've read the Magic Lore (and the lack thereof of magic for new characters/random encounters as we do mention not to write about magic in your Test)- with a few tweaks to the Test as suggested earlier!

Erlewis

Lord of Altera
Of course, my bad. No, Fechin has no magic ability, in line with magic expectations, but is simply decent with his hands.
Sorry about being unintentionally difficult! XD Changes made as requested.

Last edited:

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
No worries- and Congratulations!

I'm pleased to announce your application has been approved. I hope you enjoy your stay in Altera. Before logging on make sure you read the Survival Guide. It will help you on your way to get established in our World. If you need to know any additional information, everything can be found in our Tome of Citizenship. Make sure you consult either of these two before asking a question ingame.

If you're stuck unable to interact with anything or chat, try using /warp whitelist, if this doesn't work then please message a staff member with the problem.

You are probably eager to jump into the game, so there is no need to read all the links. Just use these as a reference for later.(very useful, by the way.)
Survival Guide
Tome of Citizenship
Commands Guide
How to create your character profile
Town Census
Server Rules
Using Titles ingame
Rules for Roleplay
The Players' Handbook
Lastly, please make sure you understand the following points. It's very important. As a new player, once you play you may be tempted to "test" out an x-ray mod... don't do it! We have a zero tolerance policy for it.

1) We have active members of staff monitoring players suspected of using X-RAY. We have extensive logging capabilities which also highlight to us when X-RAY is suspected. Anyone caught using X-RAY mods or Transparent Texture Packs will be permanently banned without appeal.
2) Anyone found to be griefing our server and subsequently blaming their sibling, friend, dog or any other person other than themselves will be banned irrespective of their innocence.