Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

A Statue in Fornost Erain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRayne

I think I might like it here
I would like to construct a statue in the likeness of the character we all have played in minecraft - the default character.

The statue would be made out of various stone-materials, and holding out his right arm holding a sword, made out of possibly teal or blue wool, black wool & wood.

I didnt dare just build it without a permission, so I decided to post here. Even if it wasnt "out of town".

In this picture you can see the would-be-location, and a Bad, bad example of what I had in mind.

What do you think?

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Go ahead Rayne - It's your town and although we'd likely ask for anything hideous to be pulled down or amended I can't see you doing that. Just ensure it's not dwarfing your town too much so the scale isn't unreasonable. Ultimately it should be structurally possible to build something like that.

I'd prefer if it at least attempted to look medieval though, not just a simple copy of the default guy (who isn't actually allowed in game as it's not a suitable skin).

If it was a structure that wouldn't have been possible etc then you'd need special permission but I don't think there's any need here :)

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Rayne as far as scale goes, you will get a reasonable size and it will lok good if you make each MC = 1 pixel.

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Just remember even with permission if the end result is really poor we will remove it :p

Although I doubt you'd do that to your town - you'd have a revolt on your hands!! :D

DrRayne

Just ensure it's not dwarfing your town too much so the scale isn't unreasonable. Ultimately it should be structurally possible to build something like that.

I'd prefer if it at least attempted to look medieval though, not just a simple copy of the default guy.
The idea was to make it large, so when you look upon it when you arrive to town youd be stricken by its grandeur.
But I do get your point.

I have also decided to make it wear cubic armor.

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
How does it fit in with your town? Does it fit with the lore of the server?

Just my opinion, I think it'll look absolutely out of place and irrelevent.

Unless it can have some real meaning to your town, the grandeur of a 'giant steve' statue because that's what everyone who plays Minecraft will know is a little absurd. If it was somehow related to 'our world's lore, then it'd be nifty.

I do, however, hope you prove me wrong.

DrRayne

How does it fit in with your town? Does it fit with the lore of the server?

Just my opinion, I think it'll look absolutely out of place and irrelevent.

Unless it can have some real meaning to your town, the grandeur of a 'giant steve' statue because that's what everyone who plays Minecraft will know is a little absurd. If it was somehow related to 'our world's lore, then it'd be nifty.

I do, however, hope you prove me wrong.
Ill do my best to do so. Will be posting pictures of the finished statue with a short backtory in a day or so.

S

Stevey

I think the most important question here is the materials you will be using. If it's made out of stone it could look like it would fit in. If it were made out of wool (to resemble steves colours) it would look more like pixelart.

DrRayne

I think the most important question here is the materials you will be using. If it's made out of stone it could look like it would fit in. If it were made out of wool (to resemble steves colours) it would look more like pixelart.
I would never litter Altera with pixel-"art".

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Don't worry Lars DrRayne know better than that :D

Plus I'd only set it on fire if it was made of wool..

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Errr rayne i seriously hope it isnt done yet.
I saw it, and it... well dirt isnt exactly his color.

DrRayne

Errr rayne i seriously hope it isnt done yet.
I saw it, and it... well dirt isnt exactly his color.
I hope youre joking :D the dirt was a model, for experimenting what size would look good.

Not in any way the final product.

DrRayne

Alright, its almost finished. Heres where we are now:

Feel free to come and check it out.

Im not saying its 100%, Im still not satisfied with the face / insides, but apart from those, its done.

All criticism is welcome & encouraged

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
That is cool but I'm not convinced it fits in that well with the server, it looks too.. new?
I fit were ruined a little, some moss stone, vines it'd probably look a heck of a lot better.
Drop me a PM in game mate I have an idea :p

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
I'm going to give DrRayne 1 hour of creative mode at some point to help make this more suitable. I love the idea of it, but it needs to be more in keeping with the server and it's currently far too "perfect". This isn't the norm, I'm only doing it as he's building something that I think could benefit the server.

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
I still wanna know why your town has built this? In honour of who? Why? Surely, a small and new town like yours, a huge statue isnt a priority. I really just dont get it. Sounds too much like a 'You know what would be cool' idea instead of a well thought out and meaningful addition. Its like youve built it and now want to make a story behind it, whereas the story should be first. Nonetheless, I havent seen it yet myself, so I cant be too critical :)

DrRayne

There is a story. I admit, it was first written for Ascension Heights, but it just wouldnt fit a dwarven mountain-town.

But now the situation is different, and the story can be implemented.

I assure you, no "you know what would be cool" was involved.

Once Im happy with the story, Ill share it. Wont be long.

PS. The statue isnt of me :p

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Rayne - if you can make this look less like the generic player and more like one of the skins we use it'd help to be honest, I like the idea of a statue above your town - it does fit in with it and it's not overly big but we really need it to fit in better, which is why I'm offering to give you access to creative mode for a little while as I think you've go the skills to pull this off.

S

Stevey

I agree with most of what halfmad said. Remember however that at some point all statues were now, statues from 100s or 1000s of years ago might look mossy and ruined now but they were all shiny and new at some point :p But minecraft a large structure made out of stone looks like it's made out of concrete :p

Status
Not open for further replies.