Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The IT Crowd

Hoptoad

Legend of Altera
Anyone a fan of The IT Crowd?

I've only seen the first three seasons, but I've loved every episode. I'm pretty sure Smoke and Mirrors and Are We Not Men? are my favourite episodes. I also think that Roy and Moss are a brilliant pair, though Jen can be a bit annoying. Richmond is pretty cool, but I'm glad he didn't have too big of a role. As for the Reynholms, they're nuts. I prefer Denholm, because he's the more realistic one. Douglas is just a twat, always.

I'll be watching season 4 pretty soon. I wish they hadn't cancelled the show. It's got a lot of potential and it's better than a lot of the shows on now. The humour, especially, is great.

One thing I gotta say: I've seen the teaser for the American adaption and it looks terrible. It's the exact same as the British version, only everyone (except Moss) has American accents. The episodes play out the same, but the sets and characters are terrible. Even Moss, who's played by the same guy, looks worse. As one Youtube comment so brilliantly put it: "It's like Moss got transported to a parallel universe where everything is terrible." They should just scrap this terrible idea and put more effort into continuing the original British series.

So, yeah, this is just a general The IT Crowd thread. Thoughts on the show, characters, the U.S. adaption, etc., post 'em here.

Cheers.

Darko

Lord of Altera
Love the IT crowd! One of my favorite shows. I hate how us americans keep taking great british tv shows and turing them into crap. Top gear, the office, and now this! I say, just stick to what you should be doing, bring back firefly! Back on topic, I do agree, Roy and Moss are just great together. Although my favorite episode is in season 4, but are we not men is one of my favorites.

P.S sorry if some of my typing isn't great, I'm on an iPad.

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Love the show, it's one of the few which I can watch with the wife without one of us wanting to read a book or chew nails (Gossip Girl does my head in). The only other ones tend to be Peep Show and The Wire at the moment!

I wouldn't knock the American version too quickly, frankly the UK version wasn't immediately popular with everyone as it did have quite a few "in" jokes which non-techies didn't get or appreciate. Look at the US version of The Office, it's arguably far better than the UK one but took a couple of seasons to really take off.

I'm more concerned about the remake of the outstanding UK Sherlock, which for me has been the best TV in years.

Hoptoad

Legend of Altera
I'm alright with some American adaptations.

The Office, for example, is good. I like the original British series, but I do think the American series is better. The thing about it, though, is that while they're similar, they're both pretty different. Some characters and episode plot-lines have some things in common, but, all-in-all, they changed the show quite a bit. Especially once the show got popular.

My main issue with The IT Crowd's American adaption is that it's exactly the same. They barely changed the characters and the episodes follow the original plots to the dot. That's why I like that Youtube comment so much; it's the same except everything's worse.

As for Sherlock, I really hope that doesn't happen. Sherlock is a brilliant show. I've introduced it to a number of my mates and they've all agreed. I don't know any other way of putting it, but Sherlock (and The IT Crowd, Misfits, etc.) just work as British shows. They just do, and I don't see how changing the setting ever so slightly and giving the characters American accents makes it any better.

Kaies

Grand Lizard
They work because its british humor, an American Sherlock doesnt seem like something i would watch.

Hoptoad

Legend of Altera
They work because its british humor, an American Sherlock doesnt seem like something i would watch.
I agree with that.

I also think, in the case of Sherlock, that the British setting plays heavily into it as well. I find it hard to picture a character like him roaming New York or some other American city. In my opinion, London is the best setting for him.

As for shows like The Office and The IT Crowd, again, I agree that the original UK series are better. The British humour makes them much more funny.