Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Upcoming Once more unto the breach - OOC Introduction and Mechanics

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
So, yep, this is a thing. It almost wasn't a thing, but Readij and Rygan encouraged me, so it's happening, even for just those two.

Once more unto the breach is the title for my small player-run campaign. It's a potentially recurring scenario, and if people do enjoy it once I've run through the phases, the event folks will have access to the mechanics for the recurring events portion and could continue running them afterwards if they so desired to.

It is completely and wholly optional. Nothing whatsoever will happen to people that choose not to participate. Potential consequences /only/ affect those who choose to play in the game, and potential benefits will mostly affect the same. There are pre-defined success and failure states and fairly substantial failure consequences. It is absolutely possible to fail to complete this campaign, it is not /necessary/ for the plot to move in any one direction, and if people fail I will not pull punches. You will know all the possible consequences long before you can opt in.

The campaign has three real purposes:

1) To give people something new to do for a while. I kind of like what's been drafted, as I don't think we've run something like I have set up like this before.

2) To give some time for Lore and Events to re-integrate and figure out their next conjoint set of stuff. Not only can this campaign run a while, but afterwards it can provide a recurring weekly or bi-weekly event for people to have something to do.

3) To finally retire my character, and give an oppertunity for other legacy characters to retire in the same fashion. I had made 3-4 separate attempts to talk to Cherry about setting things up for me to either write Naelwyn out of the story or divest in his magical skills in some way, in order to make the character more interesting or retire a 4-year-old character in a meaningful fashion but all of them fell through when Cherry had to vanish again. So, I wrote something small myself, where I'm not going to be heavily involved, that gives me the chance to clear out most of the legacy bits to help lore later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is it?

Once more unto the breach is a campaign wherein the players that choose to participate will be attempting to invade, secure, and fortify, a position inside the Nether.

It is, first and foremost, a longterm, freeform roleplay survival challenge keeping in accord with the Minecraft mechanics of the Nether.

Characters will need to provide for themselves food, water, and material supplies, keeping in mind that no infinite water production exists in the nether. Every character participating has an initial 'carrying capacity' which they can use to bring specific things into the nether with themselves. Co-ordination on this front is key to success.

As part of the challenge of the campaign, those who participate will be primarily /sealed/ inside the nether with a limited carrying capacity of things they can bring with them.

Whenever they choose to open the portal back to where they came from to resupply, the fortification they are working to construct will be attacked by denizens seeking to escape the nether into the normal realm. The catch is that they cannot, until every person pledged to defend the gate has fallen or fled.

If that happens, and a nether being touches the gate, the gate will destruct, and trap all those still alive that have either forsaken the oath to defend it, or never swore it but were in the nether anyways. This is the failure state. Those that have died in the Nether, without a gate home, cannot be revived by the sisterhood.

By re-establishing the gate a second time, it is possible to retry this recurring campaign. If it is re-established quickly enough, there is a chance to save those still trapped within, either in living bodies or disembodied souls.

The attack of the Nether's denizens is not meant to be especially lethal, but moreso to be taxing on supplies. Those who die OOCly to the attacks will have an escalating series of potential injury rolls, which healing of will take time and supplies. In addition, one must remember that Iron and Diamond are limited resources in the nether - so damage sustained to equipment is likely to be permanent.

The 'win' condition of this campaign is if the full construction of a checklist of features is completed, with the gate still standing, and a self-sufficient garrison is established that does not need outside resupply.

The potential benefits of this win condition is a linked network of IC-justified portals, similar to the very first functioning of fast travel on the server. This is intended to serve as a potential alternative and additional link between towns as boats and roads, and will help provide time and less stress to the staff constructing road networks.

It is a potentially potent thing to secure for oneself, but entirely optional - a portal could have economic and town-activity benefits, but also brings upon oneself a military threat, as the travel is instantaneous.

Were it not for Readij and Rygan, this campaign would not have happened. You should put your thanks towards them, if you end up liking this. Every aspect of this is designed to either be interesting, fun, and challenging, or otherwise assist with something I saw people stressed about. Hope you guys find it interesting.

Please feel free to ask questions - I will add answers to this post below this line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
neat

the fast travel part isn't really my thing but going DOOM on some demons (or whatever ICly is in the nether) is cool

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
For what purpose are the players attempting to secure this position?
The 'win' condition of this campaign is if the full construction of a checklist of features is completed, with the gate still standing, and a self-sufficient garrison is established that does not need outside resupply.

The potential benefits of this win condition is a linked network of IC-justified portals, similar to the very first functioning of fast travel on the server. This is intended to serve as a potential alternative and additional link between towns as boats and roads, and will help provide time and less stress to the staff constructing road networks.

It is a potentially potent thing to secure for oneself, but entirely optional - a portal could have economic and town-activity benefits, but also brings upon oneself a military threat, as the travel is instantaneous.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
My question is why. Why do we need these portals? From my experience ICly the nether is something you want sealed off, not opened up throughout the whole map. Why use as fast travel? Its an inhospitable place and always has the risk of netherish creatures. Yes, this might be to get rid of some, but I doubt it'll get rid of all, and even then, travelling through a magma filled visceral plain doesn't seem the ideal way of travel. Perhaps I skipped a few details, but this is what sparks my confusion.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Where will the gate be? Spawn? Or elsewhere?
This is something that I would determine based on people volunteering.

A) (I cleared this one) - Ideally, if someone has an unused castle or defensible place, that can be used as a depot/warehouse on the worldly side, and was willing to donate it to this project, it would become a server property, and could be linked to fast travel. Refund the build, and basically turn it into a nice IC place to enter the nether from post event.

B) I've kept my claim on the part of the land I have /specifically/ so that if nobody was able/willing to help with A, we had a place where we could construct something that would suit this campaigns purposes. It would be fairly central to the hubs and a short distance from spawn.

I don't necessarily want to stick this in spawn because the price of losing is the gate blowing up, and sticking it at spawn would impose consequences on people that were not opt-in.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
My question is why. Why do we need these portals? From my experience ICly the nether is something you want sealed off, not opened up throughout the whole map. Why use as fast travel? Its an inhospitable place and always has the risk of netherish creatures. Yes, this might be to get rid of some, but I doubt it'll get rid of all, and even then, travelling through a magma filled visceral plain doesn't seem the ideal way of travel. Perhaps I skipped a few details, but this is what sparks my confusion.
That is why the benefit is only available on the 'win' condition of "The fortress is fully complete and fully functional, and is sufficient to the point where the spirits cannot break it." The different portals would all be within a central room of the main area, not spread out over everything, and secured in the heart of the fortress.

If that fortress fails to be defended, the benefit is lost and all the fast travel portals shut off, versus spawning nether creatures. That's how its a recurring event. To gain the utility (Which is a minor addition) the fortress must be manned.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
For what purpose are the players attempting to secure this position?
There is an accompanying "IC purposes, justifications, and more details" thread coming second, but I wanted to first detail the mechanical components and risks involved with the events and see if people were interested despite the potential risks to their characters.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
That is why the benefit is only available on the 'win' condition of "The fortress is fully complete and fully functional, and is sufficient to the point where the spirits cannot break it." The different portals would all be within a central room of the main area, not spread out over everything, and secured in the heart of the fortress.

If that fortress fails to be defended, the benefit is lost and all the fast travel portals shut off, versus spawning nether creatures. That's how its a recurring event. To gain the utility (Which is a minor addition) the fortress must be manned.
Is this a fortress that would be fortified via a spell or something of the sort? I don't see how a building can be protected otherwise in a realm not our own. I hope I'm not coming off as pushy, I am interested in seeing how it plays out. (Sadly I cannot directly participate due to IC circumstance on all my characters, but hopefully I can help in other ways)

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Is this a fortress that would be fortified via a spell or something of the sort? I don't see how a building can be protected otherwise in a realm not our own. I hope I'm not coming off as pushy, I am interested in seeing how it plays out. (Sadly I cannot directly participate due to IC circumstance on all my characters, but hopefully I can help in other ways)
No no, I am completely happy to explain. It's not being pushy at all.

The reason the win condition is "Complete the fortress" is that we're going to be building the fortress in the shape of a magical symbol, such that if the players can successfully construct the place, it will form it's own protections, provided someone is there to protect it.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
No no, I am completely happy to explain. It's not being pushy at all.

The reason the win condition is "Complete the fortress" is that we're going to be building the fortress in the shape of a magical symbol, such that if the players can successfully construct the place, it will form it's own protections.
Oh, I see. Something like the Bastion tower or other such buildings on the old map, then? I know my character would be willing to help with supplies, since it would be beneficial to have a protected portal. I had thought it was several fortresses being spread out.

Now, my most concerning question, seeing as how it happened in the last large scale nether venture.. Would this fortress also be immune to a wither boss?

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Oh, I see. Something like the Bastion tower or other such buildings on the old map, then? I know my character would be willing to help with supplies, since it would be beneficial to have a protected portal. I had thought it was several fortresses being spread out.

Now, my most concerning question, seeing as how it happened in the last large scale nether venture.. Would this fortress also be immune to a wither boss?
I can only answer "It Depends" - Said answer will make more sense when I finish with the second thread.