Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Niah and Her Whisperer

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Alright. So. I may have mentioned that my Niah character was originally derived from a character I played in D&D with some IRL friends of mine. One of those friends had this wonderful idea to take the events of the campaign and turn them into a cohesive story. We took turns, both writing from each of our character's POV. It was a fun little thing to do (and I need to pick up writing on that at some point......)

Anyway. I wanted to post a section of that story. It's Niah in all her witch glory. She's turning out a bit differently here. Different circumstances. Different characters around her. But this is basically Niah in a nutshell in that campaign. All you need to know is that Heathcliff is her raven familiar. Enjoy!

Part Two: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/niah-and-her-whisperer.31740/#post-534709
==================================
“Witchling is a stupid human for backing out,” Heathcliff pointedly stated, staring at me from the cobblestone pavement. I sat on the bench, looking more at the rolling water of the adjacent river than at him. I did, however, notice the disappointment glinting in his beady little eyes. Either that or I was seeing my own indecision reflected there.

“You have no place to talk,” I heatedly whispered, furtively glancing at the nobleman who passed by with a package in arm. He raised an eyebrow at my Infernal tongue and how I spoke to the bird, but kept walking past to my relief. Returning my attention to the familiar, I leaned down and glowered at him. “You do not get to decide what I do. You were not face to face with death. You were not fighting off bandits and running from a fiery mist. Youwere flitting about in the trees, nowhere to be seen.”

He preened as I berated him, which fueled my agitation. When I finished, he put down his wing and regarded me coolly before responding. “I am not immortal, Witchling. I am a raven who has been given the ability to speak, but I am still only a raven. I cannot fly into combat and defeat an angry human, no matter how indignant you may be. If I were to try, I would most likely be killed and you would be left without the power I grant you. Without me, you are nothing little Witchling. Remember this.”

I folded my arms and leaned back, sulking in the shade of the overhanging tree. I was painfully aware of how insignificant I was without the magic he granted me. I didn’t know where it came from or even what kind of magic I was using, only that my familiar was the only thing keeping me floating above the common rabble. Sighing, I looked away from the bird and instead focused my attention on a ship sailing by. “Then tell me, oh wise bird- Why am I a stupid human for backing out?”

“Because I don’t teach you these spells so you can flit about and steal from dress shops. When Witchling entered into the contract with me, you begged to never be weak again. You wanted the power to break free of your cages and I gave that to you. It is a waste to see you squander your natural talents on foolish and petty endeavors.”

I weakly laughed, surprised by his speech. “And you suggest I become a hired mercenary?”

“I suggest you do whatever it takes to secure a position in this city. Right now you’re a pretty face with a pretty dress. It’s time you make a name for yourself, Witchling.”

I fell silent as I thought about Heathcliff’s words. The bird, sensing that conversation was over squawked and took off after a group of doves down the street, sending them flying in terror as he swooped amidst them. The animal didn’t know a dwarf from an orc and I doubted if he even knew the name of the continent we were on, but he had a startling wisdom. I stood up and left my spot on the bench, walking towards the water’s edge. The embankment was somewhat steep, but in my travelling gear I managed to get down to the rocky outcropping easily. The water was swift and murky in the evening light. Ships sailed down the river, towards the sea that Ardellon sat on the edge of. They drifted easily by, under the two bridges that connected the city, steering clear of the center island with all the temples. From where I stood, I could see the temples and statues much more easily.

It was calming being so close to the water, though I couldn’t quite explain why. The sound of the water lapping the riverbank and gulls crying overhead put my mind at ease as I considered my position. What did I want? I only came to Ardellon by chance, after running away from my obligations of paying Robert’s debt. I made grand plans of aligning myself with the most powerful people in the city, and while the Council knows me now, was I any more than just a pawn for them? I didn’t want to be a hired dog, but what would the repercussions be if I stayed away? I needed to know more. I needed to find out more about the Council and what other ways I could get the upper hand…

Brian!," I suddenly shouted, mostly to myself as an epiphany washed over me in bright crescendo. I scrambled up the bank, a wide grin overtaking my face at the prospect of utilizing my pawn. I had not checked on my whisperer since entreating him to work for me, but whatever information he'd gathered was pivotal for me now. I honestly had put him far from mind, but if it was information about the Council I needed, he was going to be my best bet. If he did his job well, I would pay him handsomely for his work. If not, I would just have to find another beggar. Perhaps an entire slew of them scattered throughout the city. As I quickened my pace, hair flying wildly about me as I darted around people leisurely strolling down the street, I had my sights set on the Four Stars Inn.

The place wasn’t very far from where I sat at the river. Being positioned right by the bridge, it was easy to make it there in a quick fashion. Almost immediately my gaze drifted to the wrought-iron light post just outside and as I walked towards it, a fine piece of cream colored cloth caught my attention. It seemed the beggar remembered the agreement after all. I cast curious glances up and down the street, looking for any sign of followers but saw no one looking suspicious enough to halt my progress. A man leaned against the inn smoking a cigar while a group of lower class women ambled by in trite conversation. Nothing out of the ordinary. Strolling nonchalantly across the street, I found the familiar alleyway, the place I told him I would come, and ducked into the darkness between the two buildings in search of my informant.

The smells had not changed and felt nauseous as the familiar cocktail of disgust wafted into my face. A rat scuttled away a stack of wooden crates as I walked past, but as I scanned the gloomy darkness of depravity, I saw no one waiting. He was not there, as he had last appeared to me, and I let my shoulders slump a little from my annoyance. It wasn’t fair to expect him to wait days on end for me here, but what else could the miscreant be doing?

“Brian, are you here?” I called out, although I knew he wasn’t. It was more of a confirmation than actual curiosity. “Of course not. Probably in some hole, wasting away…”

“I wouldn’t say I’m wasting away,” a man said with a familiar voice. I smoothly turned around to see an older fellow at the entrance of the alley way. He’d snuffed out the cigar, but it was the same gray haired figured that had leaned against the inn from moments ago.

“My apologies, Sir. I was trying to find a dear friend of mine. It seems he is not here.” I nodded both my salutations and goodbyes to him with a polite curtsy, though I looked somewhat out of place doing so in my leather breeches and worn out tunic. “If you’ll excuse me,” I added as I began leaving the darkness.

I walked to the far side of him and came out onto the comparatively bright street, though the sun was nearly set. As I stood there, at a loss of what to do next, I heard his footsteps come up behind me and stop a few paces back. “I know I don’t have the same look, but I believe I’m the friend you’re looking for.”

I looked back, ready to write him off when I caught his gaze. There was something familiar to the man, but I could not place him. He stood tall and clean shaven, appareled in merchant’s manner. But his eyes… I widened my own as realization hit me. “My, my, my. You certainly have a new look about you, Brian. Not quite the same man I left in the alley all those nights ago.”

He toothily grinned and nodded. “Aye. I’ve had some better fortune since ye found my against that wall. With your generosity, I got a good bath and a hot meal over at the inn and made a bit of a name for myself as a bard. Not much, but people are starting to wave and smile at me now, thanks to you.”

Thanks to me? I only gave the wretch two gold pieces and a thousand empty promises. No tailor in any city could dress a rascal in such finery for that price. Though finery was not quite befitting as he wasn’t exactly upperclass material. I glided over to him and laced my arm through his and smiled. At least his odor had been washed away. “Come, my lucky gentleman. I believe we have things to discuss. Shall we?”

I waved my free hand towards the shadows I’d just left and he nodded gingerly. I led him past the rats and crates, far into the back where it closed off into a dead end of high wall. The air was stale here and I could hear a few people scuttling about in the adjacent buildings, living their daily lives. Once we were save away from prying eyes and deft ears, I dropped Brian’s arm and raised an expectant brow. “All business, I see. I expected as much.”

“I saw the cloth you tied for me, so I came. What have you learned, dear Whisperer?”

He cocked his head, forwardly asking, “What have ye to pay me?”

Pitiful creature, I bemusedly thought. He gets a few meals and a good bath and all of a sudden he’s in the position to bargain? He is quite mistaken, I’m afraid. Regardless, I needed the information and I was willing to play along for now. Reaching for my coin purse, I held it out for him and shook it. The fifty gold pieces from the council rattled loudly in the bag, as well as the few pieces of my own. I still kept the brunt of my fortune tucked away in the room, but for now, the sound of gold spurred the man into compliance.

“I see that you mean business then. In that case, I’ve been doing as ye asked. Watched the houses and the families. Learned quite a many things in that time. They’re not all that they seem to be. For example, the gnome, Eugene? He’s a summoner.”

My eyes widened. “Summoner? I had no idea any of them possessed magic. Are you sure?”

He nodded. “Aye. I watched his home and his great beast inside. I couldn’t get a good look, but I know it was a great, dark thing. But Eugene’s not the only one. Eliana Blackheart, the elf, and the Halfling, Victor, both have magic too. Not quite sure what type, but I warrant that they’re all mighty powerful to be where they are now.”

“You think they used magic to get their positions? If they’re powerful, it would be child’s play to secure a seat on the council.”

He shrugged in the half-light, rubbing at his chin as if his beard were still there. “I can’t say. The rest of the Council are adept fighters though and I’m surprised they chose to join into this bureaucracy instead of aligning themselves with the City Watch. Well, the rest barring that scumbag, Mortlock. When ye told me to keep my eyes on them, I’ll admit I was eager to see what I could find on him. But the bastard keeps himself hidden away when he’s not conducting business at the hall.”

“Curious then,” I muttered quietly. If they were so skilled, why send grunts out? Why not send out the City Watch to retrieve the cargo from earlier today? And why not send them out tomorrow for the ‘more pressing matter’? Sending out unknown fighters was an illogical thing to do when they had a loyal task force at their disposal. Unless… “Whisperer, tell me this. Do you have any clues into their private affairs? Any dealings they would want to keep secret?”

“I’m afraid I couldn’t find anything like that out without going up to one of ‘em and asking.”

“I see. It seems to be that the Council is trying to hide something from the general populace… It’s the only explanation for sending us out instead of those directly tied to them.”

“Milady? What do you mean?”

I shook my head and smiled. “Oh, it’s nothing. I thank you for what you’ve given me. It’s been a most fortuitous meeting, but I’m afraid I must be off. I have much to think about.”

Brian cleared his throat as I began to walk away, and I paused midstep. I did not turn to look at him, but merely stood quietly as I listened. “Milady, I do believe there was a promise of payment. I have delivered, and I think it deserves quite a bit of recompense for the work I put in.”

“Of course. How silly of me,” I said with a smile, turning on my heels. I stared directly into his eyes, and holding out my hand, I blew towards him as if blowing dust in his face. He looked at me strangely and I just mirthfully shrugged. “Just cleaning my hands.”

“Right. Well, I believe… S-several gold pieces are in order. ‘Bout thirty, I’d s-say…” His eyes were drooping now and he took a few uncertain steps backwards against the wall. “It’s only right, Mi-Milady.”

“Of course it’s right, Brian. But you see, I have a bit of a problem. When I came into this alley, I hired a beggar. And you are not that same beggar. You are a man that people recognize now. You said it yourself. People wave to you. And that’s something that I can’t have. I can’t have a whisperer who doesn’t whisper.” I smiled darkly as he slowly slid down the wall. My slumbering hex had taken a hold and it was all he could do to look up at me.

“B-but what I… I told you what I knew…”

“You did. And I thank you for that. But I’m afraid I have no use for a well-to-do bard. You understand, I’m sure.”

However, I doubted he heard my parting words as his head fell over to the side, and his chest began to rise and fall evenly as a slight breeze rushed into the alley. Just like I had done with Eron, I did the practiced motions, carving signs and runes into the air with practiced ease and then I leaned forward until I was standing right above his slumped body. With a giddy gleam in my eye, I inhaled until all of the oxygen in his body had left him to suffocate. He did not go as quietly as Eron, though there wasn’t any lake water to help the process this time. Instead, the man began to writhe on the ground and I took a step back to avoid his death spasms. He gasped so violently for air but none would come to him and after a few minutes, Brian the Beggar Bard lay dead at my feet.

“If only you had continued to rot in filth, I would have let you live then. But no man can have such a turn of fortune with two measly gold pieces. You had help, which means that you were not so loyal as I had hoped.” I kicked his boot out of the way and turned from him, feeling surprisingly refreshed by the scene.

Last edited:

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
And I guess I could probably tag @TheDeester since you've interacted with the character here more than anyone else. And I guess I could probably tag @Immerael because you just recently joined, you wonderful human. I feel like months of prodding has finally paid off to get you here. :3

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Kind of felt like posting an additional section of this. @Immerael , let me know if you don't want this posted since the next section features Azure in all his Dhampir evil merchant glory. :p Also- You guys might notice the name Aracena popping up in this. If you've ever RPed with Niah, especially in her early days on the server, she had a thing for using an alias. In the campaign where she was first conceived, her alias was Aracena. >.> Anyway. Yeah. So... Here's the section that directly follows.

WARNING for a weeeee bit of gore. And edgy mentions to some backstory bits. Altera Niah doesn't have that "killing a noble" bit in her past, but Ardellon Niah does. One of the things that pushed her so far one way on the alignment scale.

Also... You get to see Niah's motto at the end. xD

@The Living Ghost (Cause perhaps bored interest)

--------------------------------------------
Walking away from the body, several thoughts drifted lazily across the forefront of my mind. None of which were thoughts of a possible witness, so as I walked past an empty, old bench that had been left in the darkness, I froze when a familiar voice pierced the shadows. "Are you just going to leave him like that?"

Panic welled up like a geyser trapped under a mountain. With great force, I quelled my natural instinct to start flinging spells and instead casually turned to see Azure sitting calmly on the bench that was empty only moments before. I tried my best to keep a calm face, but my hands balled up into clenched fists with all the effort of keeping my composure. Not only had he just witnessed Brian's untimely demise, but he also materialized out of nowhere, which told me that he was far more dangerous than I ever considered. With powers completely unknown to me, and knowledge of my unsavory doings, the pale man suddenly became by biggest threat in the city.

I had to play things carefully or else there would be a second murder tonight. I wasn't entirely sure which of us would lay dead at the end, but everything in me screamed that the odds weren't in my favor. Ignoring his question for the being, I slowly relaxed my hands and feigned a polite smile. "How reckless of me," I cautiously began. "I wasn't aware of an audience. Though I should have expected as much since you followed me to this alleyway once before."

He looked at me and easily replied, "Yes. That was such a lovely evening, wasn't it?" Before I could respond, he continued in a manner that, in any other situation, I would commend him for. He spoke quite effortlessly and with a significant amount of confidence. He was no stranger to underhanded dealings, and part of me was intrigued at the prospect of the game were were about to play.

"Poor little foolish Brian, over there," he continued, looking at the corpse a few paces away. "Did you know he was once one of the most powerful people in the city? Lance Mortlock took a disliking to him and forced him to stay in this city as a reminder to those who go against him. Now here he lies on the side of the street killed by a young witch who has no idea how to kill someone in a city she actually plans on staying in. What did you do before coming to Ardellon? Kill and flee like some bottom feeder?"

I couldn't help but smirk, my previous panic all but faded away as I settled in for the long dance. He had good deductive skills. I would give him that. Almost too good. If things didn't turn out well here, I would have to take steps to remedy what he thought he knew. "Sounds like this bottom feeder did poor Brian a service then. Maybe his betrayal of me was nothing more than a cry for help, to end the torment. I mean, when I first found him he was nothing more than a drunk. Though, judging by this peculiar meeting, I would be willing to bet you knew that. He got a significant amount of money from somewhere, and it wasn't me. You must have paid him handsomely to afford such a fresh start. Unfortunately, to anyone who knows this man and his poor, wretched story... Well, they'd just assumed he was like any other miscreant. Takes what he's given and then drinks himself into an early grave."

I smiled, knowing that there's nothing to tie me to the murder. Unless there were others who'd taken a keen interest in my dealings, and who could also vanish at will, there was no one who had seen me with the man. I'd checked both times. "Though you're right about the witch part. I suppose there's no sense in trying to deny it. However, it leaves me to question... What exactly are you? You're not human. You're far too out of place to be. It's only fair since you think you know so much about me that you clue me in."

He quickly met my gaze and I wasn’t sure what I saw reflected there. Vehemence perhaps? Fear? Annoyance? It was hard to read, but he stared at me with such intensity that I knew I had struck some sort of nerve with my question. But the moment was fleeting and his emotions were hidden by the sudden laugh that echoed against the stone walls. When he quieted, he look at me mirthfully and replied, "If you seriously think I would share something like that, based on a sentiment as weak as fairness you and Kalan are not so different after all.”

I waved my hand in the air at this comment, unsurprised by his response. It was well worth a try, though I didn’t quite expect to get an answer from him. The comparison to Kalan Tenebrelux, however, rankled with me quite a bit. Being put into the same sentence as the man made my skin crawl, but I let it go as Azure continued to speak.

“Though you're right,” he began. “There is little need to hide something that is clear to anyone who's made any serious attempt to study magic. Though you've made a few miscalculations on Brian."

I raised a curious brow as he calmly stood up from the dusty bench and walked over to the body. As he turned his back to me, a thousand thoughts raced as I considered all the spells I could potentially use and all the hexes I could curse him with. To be honest, I wasn’t at all worried about the beggar, despite what he thought of the situation. Even if I were singled out, I had every faith I could charm my way out of detainment. Or, at the very least, stall for time so that I could flee. So as he bent down on one knee, I weighed the options of commanding him to fall on the dagger he pulled from some fold in his clothing. Taking a few steps until I was a couple paces behind him, I looked down at Azure and frowned.

I could kill him now and be done with it all. The witness would be out of the way and whatever nefarious game he’s playing would be put to rest, I thought to myself. Despite my logical thinking, part of me hesitated. It was the part of me that was curious about the silver haired stranger who was, quite possibly, better at manipulation than I was. Given his curious vanishing act and talent for lying, he was someone quite useful. Though, as much as I didn’t want to admit it to myself, he was someone interesting and it was enough to stay my hand. I sighed, resigned to the fact that I may eventually regret the decision.

Turning my full attention to Azure, putting my inner struggles aside, I observed the way he regarded the body with a scrap of pity before speaking. “You’re lucky I’m here to clean up your mess,” he said with a laugh. Taking the dagger in hand, Azure began brutally stabbing the poor beggar and I jumped back a few paces, slightly startled by the carnage. It had been a long time since I’d seen that much blood. I was suddenly transported back to childhood, remembering the fourteen year old girl I’d slain with a broken mirror. So much blood. Crimson flowing like sinful rivers while my own panicked tears raced her fading life with each wild heartbeat. Her blood violently arced across the room as her she sputtered and spat, drowning in the red moment. But Brian’s heart had already stopped and instead everything pooled slowly around him, a dark stain in the black alleyway. I was thankful the butcher was so intent on his work because I found myself shaking at the sudden memory, startled by the savagery before me. It was so distastefully messy and my head reeled at the dull sound of the knife scraping against bone and flesh repeatedly.

After what seemed like horrifying lifetimes, he finally stopped and looked at his handiwork for a moment. Azure turned to look up at me, though still crouched on the pavement in front of the man. It took all I had to appear unaffected by the scene, and he didn’t seem to catch on as he said, "A man like this does not get back on his feet only to fall into the same trap yet again. He did not have enough gold to look like a bard or even buy this lute here from all our collected gold. This man was on the rise and beginning to think for himself again. He would have become dangerous to both of us very quickly."

Without waiting for the response caught in my throat, he resumed his grisly work, but this time taking a different approach. He held out his free hand, and like a charmer and his snake, the blood rose from the body in a deadly display. He splattered the walls then, using an unknown magic and spraying the gore in intentional patterns across the walls and ground. I knew what he was doing. He was trying to make the blood spatter more realistic, make any City Watch assume Brian was violently stabbed. Highly unnecessary from where I stood, but perhaps the man knew something that I didn’t.

In any case, I sorted out my composure and found my voice with much effort, weak though it was. “We’re both part of this now,” I said with haunting finality. “If either of us encounters truth-telling magic, we could implicate the other. You stabbed him repeatedly and I suffocated him. If nothing else, we are now conspirators in his death. What I’m left wondering is why.”

I walked beside the pale man with features too sharp and too unnatural to be human and regarded him carefully. I made a point to stare directly at him, a strength returning to my voice as I reinforced my question. “Why? You could have left me to rot in whatever mess you thought I was in. Why go through this trouble?”

"I live by a life of order and rules Aracena," he said, looking up at me with a steady gaze. "One, where if you break or ignore those rules, you will end up dead or worse. The strong destroy each other while devouring the weak who dare to get in their way. I have always counted myself among the strong."

Placing a hand on his knee, Azure pushed himself off the ground and rose to his full height. Standing this close to the man, I had to look up slightly to avoid breaking eye contact. "Until recently," he added, "I have considered you among the weak."

I allowed his words to settle for a moment as I contemplated my response. This was the moment I had to decide what I wanted from him, if anything. He was dangerous and yet he'd piqued my interest enough to let him live. It was true that I didn't want to be a hired dog for the council, but it was also clear to me that they were hiding something. With Kaelin's help, and possibly Azure's, I could find out what and play that to my advantage. In order to gain Azure's help, however, I knew I had to respond perfectly or else I would forever be a pawn in his eyes.

I stared into the soul of his eyes, if he even had such a thing. Moments passed in silence until I finally turned away from him, trailing a finger across the grimy wall as I began to speak. "Until recently, you say? Then that means you'd rather destroy than devour me. I can't say for sure if that's an improvement, but if your world of order and rules say the strong vie for a mutually assured destruction, who am I to argue? I am, after all, a newcomer to this city."

After a few paces, I paused my speech and sat down on the same bench he'd appeared to me earlier. Crossing my legs and placing my hands so daintily on my knees, I tilted my head towards him with a devilish smile. My green eyes sparked with a certain mix of mischief and challenge. "But if we are destined to have a battle of strength and will, might I suggest we stay our hand for now? I believe there is a greater strength than either of us out there, just begging for your so-called destruction. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I am glad to see my effort was not wasted," Azure said with a smile. He casually glanced back at the body with something akin to pride on his face, or perhaps contentment. Either way, he did not linger on his handiwork for long. "Perhaps we should continue our conversation in a less.... conspicuous location, however," he added, walking over to where I sat and extending his hand towards me. If I were a little more foolish, I would perhaps mistake the gesture as a sign of friendship. As I grabbed his hand and allowed him to help me to my feet, I recognized it as a mutual agreement between us. A partnership, as it were.

"Besides," he continued. "A young couple walking out of a dark alley is much less suspicious than either of us on our own. Wouldn't want those foolish wenches gossiping out in the street earlier to get the right idea about us, now do we?"

I genuinely laughed and looped my arm around his as we began walking to the end of the narrow street. "There's nothing worse than a right impression." The laughter in my voice faded after a moment, however, and I turned my head towards him. "Speaking of impressions... Niah. My name is Niah."

Halendar

Lord of Altera
Hey just out of curiosity have you taken any creative writing courses, or did you teach yourself to write like this?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Hey just out of curiosity have you taken any creative writing courses, or did you teach yourself to write like this?
I've always had an interest in writing. In fact I started doing forum RP's when I was in 7th grade because it was a fun outlet for my writing. In college I was a English Literature major, but I did take a creative writing course for the fun of it. :)

Halendar

Lord of Altera
I've always had an interest in writing. In fact I started doing forum RP's when I was in 7th grade because it was a fun outlet for my writing. In college I was a English Literature major, but I did take a creative writing course for the fun of it. :)
I'm taking and English Lit course this year as a sophomore. I'm not sure if they offer creative writing later in my school, but I have a huge passion for writing. When you took creative writing did it help you to improve how you wrote?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I'm taking and English Lit course this year as a sophomore. I'm not sure if they offer creative writing later in my school, but I have a huge passion for writing. When you took creative writing did it help you to improve how you wrote?
Yeah, kind of. The sort of assignments I did weren't really my cup of tea, but the peer review was probably the most helpful. Seeing how the class interpreted different assignments. But it was a good class. A fun experience.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I should also point out I can't take full credit for this. This did come from a D&D campaign that @Immerael and I wrote about and such. We took turns writing. He'd write a chapter from his character's perspective, then I'd write it from mine. Dual journal type things. So Azure's actions and dialogue are entirely his own. I just reacted and wrote about it from Niah's POV.