Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Modernizing: "Play Guide" for Races & Cultures

How do you feel about this?

• Current iteration is good

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Current iteration needs work

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Unnecessary

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Hello! This is intended to be an unobtrusive poll and discussion for ease of access to lore when building a character. Generally intended for new players, but the information is supposed to be there for quick access as a character is devised. As the Race & Culture pages are updated, I would like to make each group easy to approach, and this is the start of that--however, I need community help to ensure it's in a good spot. The poll is a good place to start, but additions via discussion are welcome. This will not replace lore entries, it will just be a section above the lore.

Current form is thus:

Height Range:
Weight Range:
Age Range:
Starting Languages:
Statistical Bonuses:
Special Traits:
Other Notes:

Any other categories can be added; feel free to give input. If the forum location doesn't allow comments, I'll see what I can do! The poll has a limited run-time because I want to start rolling out updates as soon as the Modernization department can. Feedback is always welcome even after the poll closes, and if this was a bad idea the thread will remain as a relic to commemorate my poor decision-making.

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
i think it would be cool for the lore pages to get a little more depth too, to hint at what the races have perhaps gotten up to. things that would be considered "common" or "essential" knowledge for a character of that race to know

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
i think it would be cool for the lore pages to get a little more depth too, to hint at what the races have perhaps gotten up to. things that would be considered "common" or "essential" knowledge for a character of that race to know
I can add a "common knowledge" section to the main lore articles and/or a list in the play guide with links to important events written by players! I would prefer the latter because it gives players a chance to be featured/impact the narrative of common belief, but it may come with some hangups. Will think on it.

LuxTop

Legend of Altera
I believe that races and culture need some brief characterization like militant, defensive, expansionary, - economy oriented. Moreover, mention of values - maybe some abstract concepts, or entities that the race holds commonly in good terms.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
I believe that races and culture need some brief characterization like militant, defensive, expansionary, - economy oriented. Moreover, mention of values - maybe some abstract concepts, or entities that the race holds commonly in good terms.
I think that a blanket label for some of those things is better left under culture and decided on a by-player basis--if there is a militant culture, they can convey that in-character better than the lore page can implicitly say "these guys are militant". People are diverse and not necessarily cornered under a distinct view, that may inhibit RP freedom too.

LuxTop

Legend of Altera
I think that a blanket label for some of those things is better left under culture and decided on a by-player basis--if there is a militant culture, they can convey that in-character better than the lore page can implicitly say "these guys are militant". People are diverse and not necessarily cornered under a distinct view, that may inhibit RP freedom too.
I agree on it being more cultural even though eark can and should be characterized as being more strength-oriented in their build in general. As to the second comment on it being restrictive, - I believe it is a misconception. I believe that giving examples of worship or values will be helpful for players who want their characters either fall in line or be different from the majority. Say, mention that Moors in places like Linlea predominantly worship Grey Lady, while in the Ashlands some may have beliefs alluding back to the darker times, tainted by corruption. Having just some kind of baseline or examples of existing cultures and settings will be very helpful - for those who wish to build new culture with some different elements, - or just for character creation and development.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
I agree on it being more cultural even though eark can and should be characterized as being more strength-oriented in their build in general. As to the second comment on it being restrictive, - I believe it is a misconception. I believe that giving examples of worship or values will be helpful for players who want their characters either fall in line or be different from the majority. Say, mention that Moors in places like Linlea predominantly worship Grey Lady, while in the Ashlands some may have beliefs alluding back to the darker times, tainted by corruption. Having just some kind of baseline or examples of existing cultures and settings will be very helpful - for those who wish to build new culture with some different elements, - or just for character creation and development.
I think those parts are best left to the lore on the pages. The intent of this is less to put forward prompts of what a character should play as and more the metrics of physiology.

A player can choose to break the mold of what the lore lists as normalcy for a culture but should be abiding by the details of what that culture is in terms of base starting languages, age and so on. Lore doesn’t need to be strictly adhered to, but the play guide stuff would be; currently that is the expectation regardless, but this would make clear what falls under what.