Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Review] Gift of the Mad Gods

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
[Disclaimer: The event is not yet over. Anything discussed herein merely includes what has happened so far.]

The Gift of the Mad Gods
I am relatively new to the server. Came in mid-September, so I haven't been around to see all of the fantastic events hosted here. But I have been a roleplayer for about ten years, and while my experience is not extensive with Hollowworld, I have enough experience with storytelling to appreciate what's at work here.

First of all, the lead up to this has been phenomenal. The Gods have grown more and more active. From what I understand, they didn't get involved much before. They were distant beings who did not mettle in the affairs of mortals. But in recent months, they've become more and more active. My character once spoke on the subject. Athryl wondered what had changed to make them so involved, to which Aracena replied, "Perhaps it is not what has changed, but what change is to come." We mortals have had the opportunity interact with them, to get to know them. Suddenly, they are not so unknown. I think this is a big factor in the interest of Visage, which I will get to in a moment. As we get to know more about the Gods, we are able to know their will, their personalities, and what drives them.

With this increased activity, Jishrim has really amped up his meddling. Everyone has been affected by Jishrim one way or another. Whether it's by his Marks, by being abducted to play his cruel games, or by making coy appearances where he shouldn't. By extension, He has been all over Altera, leaving his mark on the player base in many ways. Even if a player never came face to face with him, I'm willing to be they've heard rumor of his Exalted's dark dealings, the poor souls suffering to his curse, or even of the young girl he left in his Shrine. He has been a dark figure, popping up more and more in Altera's daily lives.

I have to commend the amount of work leading up to this moment, because with all the Summonings and appearances, I can't even imagine the multitasking and planning behind all of it. Really and truly, the hype has been building wonderfully. And it is because of this hype, that the player-driven, chaos story around Visage is really wonderful. Because the Gods have been poking around more, we get these conflicting versions of what to do with the Child. Jishrim says it is his gift. Silas says not to touch it. Theodra says to raise it. Suddenly, everyone is pulled apart by differing instructions. Everyone thinks they know best. Some are affectionately attached to this mysterious entity, and others are absolutely terrified. Many are terrified because Jishrim has been so active lately, nearly everyone knows what he's capable of.

At this point in the story, it is truly up to the player base. @Michcat has told us that what we do will play a heavy role in what happens from here. The interactive nature of this story is really intriguing. The potential is limitless because the interactions with Visage and the players can really go in a million different ways! However, a lot of people have voiced concern over how the players reacted during the main event. The chaos was rampant. Soliders tried to block the crowd. People wanted to get closer for a better view. Everyone was yelling. People were praying to their own gods. And when Visage started phasing through materials, it only got more chaotic. The amount of characters trying to touch the porcelain child was astronomical. And for me, personally, I expected as much. Well, perhaps not throwing him in a pond, but the grabbing and reaching and coddling- yes. God or not, Figment or whatever, he is Jishrim's gift. And that scene at the Shrines was the most chaotic thing I've seen.

Yes. I do have to say that character reactions to the soldiers and weapons were a little too brave. Looking back, I think even my character was too unswayed by the weapons. I can say that it was her Mark of Jishrim as an excuse, but really, I think several of us were not appropriately reacting to the physical dangers presented to us. God child or not, I highly doubt anyone in the real world would be willing to have a skewer in them for the chance to touch something another God said not to touch. It's not worth dying just to disobey for the sake of disobeying. However, that is on us, and not on the Event Team.

The interesting thing about this whole event is that it lasts an entire week. Which gives Visage a chance to pop up in Altera in various places, and in various settings. Players will likely get to interact with him in a less cluttered setting. After all, he can phase through things and seems to have the ability to pop up anywhere he wants. Which means that Joe Bob won't be there to stop Jerry Sue from doing such and such with Visage. And that that Jerry Sue won't be there next time when Billy Joel decides to teach Visage that thing. We don't know what another player is doing or saying with Visage, and that is TERRIFYING and incredibly exciting.

We have this entity that suddenly, everyone is invested and curious of. And that is why I give the event a 10/10 because, despite our own shortcomings as roleplayers and appropriate reactions, the planning and thought behind this is phenomenal. I could say more about Visage and the things I have learned IC, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else. So for now, I will go ahead and end the review.

My only closing remark is that as a storyteller, as a roleplayer, and as a Hollowworlder, that I am thoroughly impressed. Especially after seeing what I did today (which I will remain quiet on for the sake of keeping IC information under wraps.)

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
[Disclaimer: The event is not yet over. Anything discussed herein merely includes what has happened so far.]

The Gift of the Mad Gods
I am relatively new to the server. Came in mid-September, so I haven't been around to see all of the fantastic events hosted here. But I have been a roleplayer for about ten years, and while my experience is not extensive with Hollowworld, I have enough experience with storytelling to appreciate what's at work here.

First of all, the lead up to this has been phenomenal. The Gods have grown more and more active. From what I understand, they didn't get involved much before. They were distant beings who did not mettle in the affairs of mortals. But in recent months, they've become more and more active. My character once spoke on the subject. Athryl wondered what had changed to make them so involved, to which Aracena replied, "Perhaps it is not what has changed, but what change is to come." We mortals have had the opportunity interact with them, to get to know them. Suddenly, they are not so unknown. I think this is a big factor in the interest of Visage, which I will get to in a moment. As we get to know more about the Gods, we are able to know their will, their personalities, and what drives them.

With this increased activity, Jishrim has really amped up his meddling. Everyone has been affected by Jishrim one way or another. Whether it's by his Marks, by being abducted to play his cruel games, or by making coy appearances where he shouldn't. By extension, He has been all over Altera, leaving his mark on the player base in many ways. Even if a player never came face to face with him, I'm willing to be they've heard rumor of his Exalted's dark dealings, the poor souls suffering to his curse, or even of the young girl he left in his Shrine. He has been a dark figure, popping up more and more in Altera's daily lives.

I have to commend the amount of work leading up to this moment, because with all the Summonings and appearances, I can't even imagine the multitasking and planning behind all of it. Really and truly, the hype has been building wonderfully. And it is because of this hype, that the player-driven, chaos story around Visage is really wonderful. Because the Gods have been poking around more, we get these conflicting versions of what to do with the Child. Jishrim says it is his gift. Silas says not to touch it. Theodra says to raise it. Suddenly, everyone is pulled apart by differing instructions. Everyone thinks they know best. Some are affectionately attached to this mysterious entity, and others are absolutely terrified. Many are terrified because Jishrim has been so active lately, nearly everyone knows what he's capable of.

At this point in the story, it is truly up to the player base. @Michcat has told us that what we do will play a heavy role in what happens from here. The interactive nature of this story is really intriguing. The potential is limitless because the interactions with Visage and the players can really go in a million different ways! However, a lot of people have voiced concern over how the players reacted during the main event. The chaos was rampant. Soliders tried to block the crowd. People wanted to get closer for a better view. Everyone was yelling. People were praying to their own gods. And when Visage started phasing through materials, it only got more chaotic. The amount of characters trying to touch the porcelain child was astronomical. And for me, personally, I expected as much. Well, perhaps not throwing him in a pond, but the grabbing and reaching and coddling- yes. God or not, Figment or whatever, he is Jishrim's gift. And that scene at the Shrines was the most chaotic thing I've seen.

Yes. I do have to say that character reactions to the soldiers and weapons were a little too brave. Looking back, I think even my character was too unswayed by the weapons. I can say that it was her Mark of Jishrim as an excuse, but really, I think several of us were not appropriately reacting to the physical dangers presented to us. God child or not, I highly doubt anyone in the real world would be willing to have a skewer in them for the chance to touch something another God said not to touch. It's not worth dying just to disobey for the sake of disobeying. However, that is on us, and not on the Event Team.

The interesting thing about this whole event is that it lasts an entire week. Which gives Visage a chance to pop up in Altera in various places, and in various settings. Players will likely get to interact with him in a less cluttered setting. After all, he can phase through things and seems to have the ability to pop up anywhere he wants. Which means that Joe Bob won't be there to stop Jerry Sue from doing such and such with Visage. And that that Jerry Sue won't be there next time when Billy Joel decides to teach Visage that thing. We don't know what another player is doing or saying with Visage, and that is TERRIFYING and incredibly exciting.

We have this entity that suddenly, everyone is invested and curious of. And that is why I give the event a 10/10 because, despite our own shortcomings as roleplayers and appropriate reactions, the planning and thought behind this is phenomenal. I could say more about Visage and the things I have learned IC, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else. So for now, I will go ahead and end the review.

My only closing remark is that as a storyteller, as a roleplayer, and as a Hollowworlder, that I am thoroughly impressed. Especially after seeing what I did today (which I will remain quiet on for the sake of keeping IC information under wraps.)
Extremely well said. I agree entirely. :) (And will most likely agree to the additions later on!) :heart:

Serfla707

Noble of Altera
Although the OOC causes of this problem have been discussed to death, I think that, if we wanted to, ICly we could attribute peoples' actions to:

a) The increasing god activity, which may have emboldened their various worshippers.

b) Jishrim himself being present. He is a god of chaos, so it's possible that his chaotic nature leaked into the surrounding people.

c) Some affect that Visage has on people. All we really heard about him OOC was that it was a porcelain child with no mouth. Yet everyone IC reacted as if he was innocent and beautiful/adorable. ICly, perhaps he is. I hate to make this reference, but perhaps it has the same affect as the "Immortal Children" in Twilight - so beautiful that everyone feels a compulsion to protect and care for them.

Just some ideas that have been bouncing around in my (and Kodi's) head ^_^

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I hate to make this reference, but perhaps it has the same affect as the "Immortal Children" in Twilight - so beautiful that everyone feels a compulsion to protect and care for them.
I hate to admit that I get the reference, but it's a fitting reference. About half the crowd definitely seemed to take that mindset. Well, maybe less than half. But a significant amount. In any case, it's a fantastically fun ride and great to sit back, guessing and musing about what's coming around the bend. Another reason it's 10/10 because there's so much of a guess factor in it.