Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

{Makani} Frequently Asked Questions

TheKunner

Legend of Altera
SnailChildr
SnailChildr
I know this thread is kinda dead but I was wondering where medical workers would fall on the social caste?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I know this thread is kinda dead but I was wondering where medical workers would fall on the social caste?
The A'keiyah were the sole healers and physicans of the Island. Since the Island's fall and the loss of the A'keiyah due to the tragedy, any makani who wanted to learn medicine and healing would be breaking the traditional roles. Which, given the amount of time since the fall, it is perfectly reasonable that many makani would have learned the trade by now. But if you are playing a super traditionalist makani, they would likely not follow that route as it is not their place. But if you are playing a makani that is adjusting to life, and trying to be their own person, then it's fine to say they've learned the trade.

It really depends on how you want to approach it.

Last edited:

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I've seen a few more makani bumping around and I'm considering adding a few more words to the lexicon. Message me if there are any particular words you wish to see added!

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Vocalization
A makani would not appreciate anyone that screeched or chirped at them for jest. Just like all civilized races, they have the same propensity for language. However, the makani are loud when they speak due to their poor hearing. Whispering is something that they have trouble doing, just because it is not common in their culture.
Just a reminder that Makani aren't able to whisper very well, or at all. It's encouraged for most RP to happen in RP chat rather than in whisper chat. Just something I'd noticed over time, so I thought I'd do a small bump as a reminder.

Juvix_

Lord of Altera
Legend
Juvix_
Juvix_
Legend
There's gonna be a few questions here, I'll try to keep them as clear as possible

Will there be any explanations IC as to why the Makani are suddenly capable of taking flight, or should we simply say "they always have" or make some excuse for each character, such as "they've recently learned how to utilize their wings better" / "they've grown stronger"? Is this an abrupt change to them, or could Makani fly in Vata'inu as well?

Are the Makani able to idle in the air, meaning, can they swish their wings hard and fast enough for them to basically float in one spot, bobbing in place and what not? Seeing it's like a pull-up to gain altitude, would it feel much the same to do this?

Also for clarification, I assume that the previous rule of "no using bows while gliding because it is too unsteady" carries over to flying too? What about the previously mentioned idling?

Last edited:

Edouard2000

Lord of Altera
Here’s a question about taking off, it says that spiritblessed of air can take off in 2 emotes. Would a potion of leaping have any effect on the take off? Make it go faster due to them able to gain slightly more altitude with it or not really?

Scardrac

Felsummer
There's gonna be a few questions here, I'll try to keep them as clear as possible

Will there be any explanations IC as to why the Makani are suddenly capable of taking flight, or should we simply say "they always have" or make some excuse for each character, such as "they've recently learned how to utilize their wings better" / "they've grown stronger"? Is this an abrupt change to them, or could Makani fly in Vata'inu as well?

Are the Makani able to idle in the air, meaning, can they swish their wings hard and fast enough for them to basically float in one spot, bobbing in place and what not? Seeing it's like a pull-up to gain altitude, would it feel much the same to do this?

Also for clarification, I assume that the previous rule of "no using bows while gliding because it is too unsteady" carries over to flying too? What about the previously mentioned idling?
Vata'inu allowed for natural updrafts of warm air surrounding the island, and free flight was hardly a necessity. Perhaps it is safe to say that the strongest, most athletic of idols could have always flown freely, but advertised it as some taboo process. Why strain your delicate body when the island gives the only flight you will ever need? Then, the great disaster struck, and the world below changed all of that. Now, free flight is a tremendous advantage, and a Makani would be foolish to not temper and train themselves to do it, should the need arise. Depending on the character, it can indeed be that they have only just now managed to train their wings to carry them, or perhaps the more fit Makani have finally let go of that supposed taboo.

Idling in the air is possible, but it would still feel just the same, like they're doing pull-ups. It's not ideal to remain doing that unless you really have to, for some Reason. There is a lot of bobbing up and down, and they need to keep their body aligned properly so they do not lose altitude. For this reason, bows are a no-go, considering their need for proper body posture and arm pull for any significant form of accuracy. You could use a crossbow, but then you've got only one shot, and you can't reload in the air. Thrown weapons are your way to go, here.

Here’s a question about taking off, it says that spiritblessed of air can take off in 2 emotes. Would a potion of leaping have any effect on the take off? Make it go faster due to them able to gain slightly more altitude with it or not really?
For the sake of consistency in the flight rules, no.