Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Active Maebh Alraun - The Cat of Nine

Magic Intern

Lord of Altera
Legend
Retired Staff
Maebh Alraun
"You don't need eyes to see."
1618024064285.png
[X]
Full name: Maebh Alraun
Nicknames: 'Seer', 'Lich', 'Witchling', 'Mae-Mae', 'Slug'
Titles: None worth recounting.

Race: Human
Culture: A stray of the Landing.

Social Status: Vagrant
Profession: Street-witch and fortune-teller, travelling storyteller. Most of her recent coin has been made as an errant ghost-seeker
Sexuality: She squints her eyes. "What's your angle?"

Homeland: The winding alleys of Storms.
Current Home(s): Lilith's Home, Blackrush Hall
Date of Birth: Unknown. A winter child.

1618011679674.png
SKIN AND BONE
The hand I'm dealt.

Height: ~5’7
Weight: ~160kg
Eye Color: Milky white, cataract clouded
Skin: Pale and acne-scarred
Distinguishing Features: Her offset eyes aren't a pretty sight, and tend to be what folks remember. Stitches crosshatch her throat, like a doll with its head sown on.
Build of Body: Gangly, the woman is wiry but tough.
Hair : A tangled mess of mousey grey, usually tied back in a rats-nest, or kept in check with her headscarf.
Is Seen By Others As: A blind woman, curiously deft on her feet, always cracking a smile.
Scars: A lifetime of scars on her feet, a death carved above her heart. A rebirth branded into the nape of her neck.

Her usual get-up consists of a woolen shawl, mud-stained boots and loose-fitting garments. Charms of twine and hair ring her wrists, along with beads, baubles and gris-gris.
She keeps coin in small amounts, tucked in her stockings or the lining of her shawl.

1618011679674.png
HEART AND MIND
The plays I make.
IMPULSES

✢ Strangers
✢ Tomfoolery
✢ Magic
✢ Rum (Ironically)

Dislikes
✢ Charity
✢ Silence
✢ Self-importance
✢ Spoilsports
✢ Rum (Unironically)

Values
✢ Your Money
✢ Stories, old and new.
✢ Her Gods
✢ A Laugh

Fears
✢ Pity
✢ Getting lost/disoriented
✢ Being forgotten
✢ Sight

TRAITS

[Blind as a Bat] But let's not forget, bats aren't entirely blind. Maebh grew up relying on sound, touch and motor memory to navigate the world, and is much more attentive to them than most. Well, the Gods made her this way, who's she to complain?

[Second Sight] How did she know that? And how so deft on her feet, the blind lass?

[Crowd Pleaser(?)] They won't forget that anytime soon. Prone to mischief-making and sowing chaos, for a laugh or otherwise. She can put on a good show when she wants to.

[Spade by Name] Her upbringing hasn't instilled much tact in her. While this makes her good at conversation, it's less useful for diplomacy, and her words tend to provoke offense whether intentional or not. Her cutthroat sense of humour doesn't help.

[Voices in the Dark] She carries an endless curiosity for others, the whims that drive them and the secrets they've got stowed away. Wind them up, peek inside, see what makes them tick.

[Tale-spinner] Having grown up blind and stranded in a single place, it's no wonder she has such a fondness for tales, myths and songs of other places. Though she has no proper education in letters or otherwise, she's got a trove of lore locked up in her skull, good common-sense, and a head for lateral thinking.

[Street-wise] Everyone's got an angle; Whoever said you can't fool an honest man wasn't one. The lessons that have kept her alive will never leave her, nor the attitudes they bring with. Trust will always be a pin in her chest, however many friends she gathers. Can't blame the cunning for tricking the gullible, can you? Rather unbothered by violence in whatever form it takes.

1618025422526.png

THE PAST
The bones of who she is, the scars that have made her.

✢ Memory of a Cold Cradle
A memory yet to be recalled.

✢ Memory of a King’s Bargain

✢ Memory of a Deadman’s Audience

✢ Memory of the Ninth Life

✢ Memory of Sea and Stars

✢ Memory of a Witch's Brand

✢ Memory of Northern Songs

✢ Memory of Charity

✢ Memory of a Brainless Stupid Good-for-Nothing Arsehole Lordling-

✢ Memory of a First Nameday

THE FUTURE
Plots, plans; Premonitions.
◈ Drives
✢ Sow mischief and magic
✢ Spread her name
✢ Protect those dear

◈ Goals

[Ongoing] Exorcise Thryss, take the eye of Zerrin in the bargain.
[Ongoing] Try one of her new spells on a Hardanger
[Ongoing] Lady of Winter - Grant an eye for an eye.
[Ongoing] Ars Arcanum - Compose a song to sing the stars.
[Ongoing] Mother's Grimoire - Advance her Witchery.
[Ongoing] Sight beyond Sight - Abandon the crutch.
[Ongoing] The Seer Witch - Spread her tale across Altera. Don't let them forget her name.

[Completed] Audience with a Deadman - Meet her Da. Get the last word. (It was 'git').
[Completed] False Light - See her first sunrise.
[Completed] Second Sight - Meet the Magus, spark her potential. Become a Witch.
[Completed] Tough Crowd - Make half of Mockingbay spill their drinks. They shan't forget that song any time soon.
[Completed] Lady of Stone - Perform her first Seance; Meet the first Witch.
[Completed] Reprise - Take the hand of her Mother's killer.

[Abandoned] See.

[Failed] Dust to Dust - Put Emma to Rest

1618025363444.png

1618011679674.png

TALENTS
"Time to don the fierce-face! Time to get inspired!"

◈ Speech
She wields words like needles - cut, slice and sow.

◈ Song
She holds a fascination for rhyme and rhythm. A weaver of words, bar-singer, story-spinner; The best tales are always true.

✢ 'Tale of Biter' - The tale of a stray lured into the Undercity by a Sorcerer of the shadows.
✢ 'The Song of Storms' - A melody of home.
✢ 'The Banshee and The Deaf' - A tale of the drowned world, so she says. Once sung to court of Mockingbay, to 'mixed' reception.

◈ Sorcery
A means of second-sight. Initiate in the grand Mystery, shaper of hearts and stone.
[
X] Mage Profile

◈ Soothsaying
Few trades for the blind. Her cards are her closest companions, her house and board over many cold years; She has a knack of knowing what people need to hear, a talent for spinning futures.

✢ The Deck of Salt and Stone
I - The Sisters
II - Catspaw
III - Grief
IV - Comet
V - Silence
VI - Throne
VII - Skin
VIII - Lullaby
IX - Harrow
X - Farce
XI - Folley
XII - Merrow
XIII - ???
✢ The Deck of Bloody Omens
I - Lady of Stone
The card of a Mother of Witches, a shadow in a mirror, wed to a mountain.

II - Child of Thorns
A card yet to be drawn.

III - King of Salt
Card of a bastard King, an old salted wound, a golden skull.

IV - Beast of Ivory
Card of an ocean terror, a blade in it’s brow.

V - Hound of Two Heads
Card of a certain Mutt, who met a fitting end.

VI - Stained Vagrant
Card of a hedge-woman, a relic of the Drowned World.

VII - Muse of Gales
Card of a wandering minstrel who freed themselves from a spiderweb.

VIII - Sire of Omens
Card of a magpie, a woman of scars and scorn.

IX - Mercy of Winter
Card of a lady of ice and snow, who plucked an eye from her socket.

X - Prince of Worms
A card yet to be drawn.

XI - Captor of Lights
Card of a Godling who stole the stars from the sky.

XII - ???
A card that must never be drawn.

TONGUES
"They say cats speak in all the words of men."

◈ Mok’yra [Fluent]
Her Mother's tongue, an inheritance with her name. She has committed the dusty words to heart, and keeps them like fine china; cherished and seldom used.

◈ Elvish [Conversational]
Patchwork city-elvish, she’s traded for sporadic lessons and picked up a knack for it from the companions of her childhood. Her accent is simply horrific.

◈ Yakai [??]
Warbling words.

◈ Source [??]

Clockwork secrets.

sailorsknot-bold-512w.png
POSSESSIONS
"To the grave."

KEEPSAKES
Keep close your cherished things.

Hawthorn Cane - Trusted, old, an extension of herself.
Rosie’s Mantle - A hand-down threadbare shawl, stained black and white by the magic of a
Midnight Visitor.
Metal Tablet - Her name etched in glyphwork on an iron plate. Kept beneath her pillow.
Moonstone Pendant - A gift from her
Mother; she is never without it.
Good-Luck Charm - Fee for a Reading, a rabbit’s foot and a pheasant’s feather tied with twine.
White Quill - An enchanted keepsake, bargained for long ago.
Seeing-eye Amulet - Contraption made by
a lackadaisy Magus, a means of borrowed sight. Kept by her heart, at arms-length.
Brass Button - Pinned under her shawl. Cherished dearly.
Twin Charms - Her first ever nameday gift. A gargoyle and a vymbat shaped from Glimmersteel.

WEAPONS
Be they kings, heroes or witches, they all die the same.

Nettle - A knife fashioned from Immortal ‘bones’ by
a certain Lordling. Stings like hell.
Betty Reckoner - Her trusty birdwood crossbow, loaded with charmed quarrels.
✢ Ibek - A steel dagger pulled from a
deadman's fingers. Means ‘stupid’ in cat-tongue.

CURIOS
Her 'finds'. She turns them useful, or turns a profit at the very least.

Giant Tooth
Elchbar Bone
Blue Feather
Black Gryphon Feather
Tealstone
Feather of Archon

Fluich Skull
Damaged Fluich Egg

MALAPROPS
Concealed in pockets, affixed to arrowtips; instruments of magic adorn her person in many unlikely forms.

✢ Charms of Wind - Folded paper charms, feathers and twine, chimes of bone.
✢ Charms of Stone - Chunks of quartz and salt, rosary beads of various minerals.
✢ Charms of Flame - She favours sticks of charcoal, animal bones kept in pouches of soot.
✢ Charms of Dark - Shards of dark glass, ink-stained fingerbones.
✢ Charms of Rain - Small bundles of dried rushes, the carved shells of sea-things.

CATS OF NINE
???

✢ Cat of Wood - Carved by
a Northwoman in her likeness. Cherished.
✢ Cat of Bone - Scrimshaw keepsake made by a
Vagrant Empress.
✢ Cat of Stone - A little trinket shaped by a Bookish Sorcerer, a gift in the parlour.
✢ Cat of White - A pale marble statuette, found at a
Harvest Festival.
✢ Cat of Black - Musty, her household cat.
✢ ??? -
✢ ??? -
✢ ??? -
✢ ??? -

STRINGS
Entrails steeped and twisted, each thread a tale. With them, she's going to make a lyre like no other.

✢ Fendark String - Crafted from the entrails of a fallen Fluich, this string is dyed black.

Last edited:

Magic Intern

Lord of Altera
Legend
Retired Staff

RELATIONS

Voices in the black
Of lands afar and distant seas,
Speak girl, and listen close back;

The devil's in the vacancies

1618025543863.png

BONDS

A blessing and a curse,
Me cherished few,
For better or for worse,

My fate's tangled up with you.
Bennett ◈ Nettle Medley []
Might I have this dance?

The only hand she's willing to take, the only one she truly lets her guard down around. She met the thorny lordling up North and found something of herself in the boy - since then, they've come to share in each other's troubles and cover for one another's failings. A constant companion she's grateful for. She wants to prove she can be trusted in return, more to herself than him. They'll write their tales together.

Aelyth ◈ Snake-eyes
I stick by mine.
She never knew a woman with such a temper, which is probably why they get along. The Vagrant Empress proved more stubborn than her throughout her childhood, and forced her to places she wouldn't dare go before. Closer to kin than her own blood ever was. She wonders what she'll stick her foot in next.

Aryn ◈ Stoney-arse []
Just watch me!
A persistent presence that she's glad for. Through her childhood years the elf's been a source of wisdom and admonishment, and possibly the only one to ever successfully scold her. Though she mightn't admit it, she has taken many of his words to heart. One who taught her to rely on others, and not to view everything as an exchange. Someone she feels the need to impress, whether she admits it to herself or not.

Thryss ◈ Lackadaisy Huntress []
Don't go forgetting about me now, loon.
Hundred year vagrant, curio finder, gadabout huntress. Their fate's all twisted up, a friend who doesn't ask questions. Her easygoing confidence and laid-back cheer keep Maebh grounded. A friend, an ally, one who she's begun to worry for. Whatever trouble it is, Maebh intends to show she can be relied on in return.

Tylla ◈ Horse-Wisdom
Parlour's always open for you, Auntie.
An old mentor in the ways of telling fortunes, a breath of valley air in the smog and soot of the city. Tylla treated a young Maebh seriously, and never asked for something in return. Though their paths cross seldom these days, they share a kinship Maebh hasn't forgotten.

Glenn ◈ First-Mate []
Play the one about how great I am!
They met at a time when Maebh was estranged and far from home, and became instant companions, roaming a snowy city, rousing rabble, and collecting strays of their kind. The two have been through thick and thin, learning together what it means to foster a group of misfits, and growing with each other through broken bones and mended rows.

Izhmoz ◈ Stone-Sorcerer
I suppose you aren't so bad, ornery ox.
At first turned off by his quiet judgement and rigid morals, they've gotten square, and she's come to see more to the Eark's stony disposition than she did at first. Someone she doesn't mind at her side, if only out of stubborn desire to prove him wrong.

Ingrid ◈ Stitch-maker
Got a good head screwed on your shoulders. I shan't mistake your silence for softness, north-girl.
Their paths cross often because of her blood ties to Bennett. Maebh finds herself respecting her maturity where she lacks it, and senses the girl's self-sufficiency and past hardships. An ally she can rely on.

Gunter ◈ Head Navigator
I stick by my own, even you, head-meddling cove.
A crewmate she sees seldom. While they don't share the closest bond, she feels she has the measure of him, and they've got an understanding of one another. She doesn't know if she can depend on him, but she knows he'll have her back, mind-magics and all.

Cliff ◈ Cast Iron
Hand in the fire.
An old companion on the streets of Storms, someone she's shared a few dire moments with; They get on well. She's peered into his aura enough to appreciate his empathy and sense of heart, but finds his tendency to cast judgement on others a bit tiresome. Given her history with Hardangers and his breed of Holy-men, she can't help but keep him at arms-length where trust is concerned.

Laisa ◈ Warm-blooded Corpse []
I'll take that as a challenge, lady of the other side.
She's rather fond of her mentor, an acquaintance she isn't always certain what to make of. Despite her deadwoman's disposition, Maebh is certain there's a beating heart inside, and enjoys the glimpses of it she gets. She tries to be a counterweight to the sorrow that seems to cloud the woman's soul when she can, and hopes to stand as a peer with her someday. Fun to poke at.

Atrus ◈ Bad Influence
You may be a posh broody cove. But you're a witch all the same.
Between all the banter and winding him up, she and this stranger found common ground in a strange place. They get on surprisingly well together.

Iskvander ◈ White Snake []
Fingers crossed.
Fancy charmer, partner in the arcane. Against all odds, her kind of company. She's curious of his past, scabs she might pick someday. His history cuts close to home, but she won't let herself be afraid. She knows too, that she won't let herself be fooled again.

OMENS

Strangers of other shores, show
The colours of your soul.
Debts to pay, unsettled scores, but

The bones have yet to roll.
Raalvara ◈ Rusty Runes
So that's where he gets it from.
Bennett's mother. Only a story before, she likes her more in the flesh. Someone she'd care to know better.

Lana ◈ Lady of Letters
A trove of knowledge, though a bit loose at the bindings.
Old customer, misty conspirator, comes around for tea now and then. She is Maebh's call-upon for matters of the written word or recorded past; A talent she lacks, but can grudgingly appreciate.

Mira ◈ Lone Magpie
"To ends meet."
A shadowy impression on her childhood, she's made many dealings with the woman of masks. She wonders why the lady never cut out her throat out - but for now, they've reached an unsteady truce. Occluded past, seeker of nepenthe, she wonders at the woman behind the smiles.

Kam ◈ Stones & Bones
Maybe I'll visit you for tea, next time around.
Bog-woman, formist, Maebh enjoys their chats, seldom though they are. The eark seems to take her seriously - for that she can forgive the coddling.

Cuttingthorne ◈ Snake-eyes
Come on chancer! Tell us your sea-stories!
Smartarse seaman always stumbling off the heels of some adventure, she probably enjoys their banter more than he does, though that's half the fun of it. If they aren't cut from the same cloth, they're at least sown by the same tailor.

Branko ◈ Knucklebones
Square.
The scales are even. For now.

MISSED

Passed from now to then,
To bad times and good tales,
To when we meet again;

Here or past the veils.
Ma ◈ Auld Crone
Lets make some magic, you and I.
The reclusive witch took Maebh under her wing long ago, in an unlikely bargain. She shared her name and taught her the ways of witchery, opening Maebh up to a world beyond her own; She'll make her proud.

'Brass' ◈ Shine []
See you never.
Her first true friend. The long-suffering tailor taught her more than he knows about caring for folks, and though they see each-other seldom now, she'll forever cherish the memory, and the keepsake pinned to her shawl.

'Foolsgold' ◈ Rum and Reverie []

He who makes me bitter makes me wise.
A childhood companion, the two hit it off despite the sharp lessons he taught her. Closer to kin than her real one ever was, she's looking forward to bandying words with him next time they cross, the git.

Ellie Strand ◈ Northwoman
I visited, like I promised.
An old drinking companion, her sort of company. The news of her passing cut.

'Sparky' ◈ Paper Tales
Till next we cross, ye blubbering mimsy.
An old friend and pyromaniac. They'll trade stories again sometime.

Last edited:

Magic Intern

Lord of Altera
Legend
Retired Staff
Memories

Rainy Chat.jpg

For the third time, Maebh has [Vision] cast on her without her consent and flies off the handle. Having hit 'Cheap-Trick' Uriel with the business-end of her cane, she storms out of the Cathedral and comes by Lilith, who follows her into the rain. The two have a long chat by a fountain in Storms under the shelter of Lilith's magic. They find they've got a lot in common, and soon Maebh is back to her usual self.

Last edited:

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
And here I was thinking she was somewhere around two-hundred years old or something, but she's only fifteen!

Magic Intern

Lord of Altera
Legend
Retired Staff
Added Relations of my own volition, noone was coerced. Thanks to everyone there for making this character such a joy to play so far. There's a handful of people I've had some great interactions with but couldn't justify a relation for. Give it time.

+Bonds

'Foolsgold' Cymic_
'Broody'' Zoslore
'Mite' Fluffy Bristle
'Foxbells' Sussurous
'Missus Tylla' Blorbis83
'Missus Jenette' Ruu Darling

+Ties

'Auld Crone' Arcana
'Scrivener' Elz
'Princess' The Cartoon Witch

+Grudges