Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Kraken Event Lowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Going to be mapping out the event here. Murphy's Law dictates it may not go as planned, which is absolutely okay.

• Prologue: Anchors Aweigh
Simply put, it's when the ship(s) take off. I plan on putting them into the naval world. Nothing major will happen here, and they'll only be kept in it for around 5 minutes.
  • Part 1: Rival Contact
The initial threat of the event will not be the kraken, but rather another group coming for Baron Crawford's 50k reward and reaving other ships attempting to do the same. The Sabretooth will initially appear as a light on the horizon, and will react accordingly:
  1. If the player party keeps their boat alight during the night, they will be greeted by a projectile gunpowder keg, detonating in the water near the boat. More will follow as the distance closes. Determined by reactions, they may keep firing but will always close the distance. If an end to firing is not warranted, the steer of the ship is responsible for keeping the player vessel from being hit. If it is done poorly, the ship will be struck, and players afflicted by a blast radius will have to roll for the severity of injury with a modifier.
  2. If not alight, the player ships will roll for stealth, changing how the encounter proceeds. If they succeed, the crew of The Sabretooth will not see them, and will appear to battle the kraken after the players do. If they fail, the ship will notice them and reaction 1. will occur.
*If the player ships retaliate and sink The Sabretooth, then gunpowder kegs will errantly float about the battlefield as they encounter the Kraken, simplifying the boss fight.
The Sabretooth is equipped to kill the kraken in case the player party is not. They can do this in three ways:
  1. The goring ram on the front of the ship, meant not to actually ram, but to rend the flesh of the beast and pierce other ships.
  2. The onboard catapult + powder kegs/explosives can fling at the beast with a lit fuse. Using the crank on the deck will become mandatory to move the items up for use as projectiles. It cannot be aimed directly forward or backward without thrashing through and igniting the masts of the ship.
  3. Detonating the entire ship in proximity to the beast. This is something the initial crew is not like to do, but after the battle with the player party complicates, it becomes a possibility for the aforementioned player party. Heroic in it's martyrdom.
After The Sabretooth inevitably closes the distance, the crew will board and there will be a resulting combat as they attempt to raid the player ships for valuables and hostages. Players may be killed during this. It will however be interrupted by part 2.
  • Part 2: Coming of Storm's Kraken
Just after the beginning of the battle, a squall of water will shoot up and reveal a pearlescent tendril. The head of the beast will be visible beneath the water, it's eyes illuminate and visible. The impending waves will rock and shake the boats, and the crew will have to react accordingly. From here, a tendril will attempt to bat down the centre mast of The Sabretooth, and is to react by the DM's accordance thereafter. A player wipe is a possibility.
  • Epilogue/Conclusion
Should the players succeed, they will be able to return to spawn and be greeted personally by Baron Crawford. If they do not succeed but still return, they may still gain the reward from their quest, but another spawn kraken event will occur in due time, with them being labelled as frauds and a bounty placed for their return, as well as the funds. (OOC refunding will be encouraged, but if Cymic cannot resupply the 50k it will be of no consequence).

If the party does not have the means to return, The Crawdad's Revenge will arrive to retrieve them, be it by taking on the players from their stranded ship, or finding survivors in the wreckage. Depending on the reactions by players mentioned previously, the reward may still be given.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
The general plan is, once the kraken's general area has been located via a few NPC vessels Sangria has watching the waters, Kane, Wise, and Sangria's vessels will head towards the general area. Ahead will be Sangria's riverboat, full of sick livestock/oil/gunpowder. We're hoping to bait it, set the explosives off from afar via a ranged weapon and fire, and all be lined up to rain hell on it- That is what we have discussed.

Supplies:
Kane: "Lot of timber for repairing things, couple of spare sails prooobably, salted meats/fish for rations"
"but could likely say theres a few spears in there"
==================================================

Wise: "I'm thinking my ship will have people equipped with poison tipped pikes, cannons, and ballistas on each side. Maybe some spear on the sides and bottom of the ship"
Update:
"-food/water not going into detail because this isn't a long expedition
-extra sails
-boards/planks/nails
-fibers and ample buckets of pitch
-two rowboats
-Pikes and crossbows with barbed bolts for the sailors
-10 healing potions
-4 ballista(2 on each side)
-cannons(lots on each side)
-gunpowder for cannons
-exploding shot cannonballs
-defensive spears lining the sides and bottom of the ship

Paralysis poison is a possibility, depends if I can get it IC. If we get that we'll dip bolts and things in it. Also exploding shots isn't confirmed."
Update:
"Also I might be downgrading to a smaller ship cause a lot of my people aren't able to make it"

Sangria: "Iron spikes on either sides of the boat, two ballistas with iron bolts, cannons on each side with average cannonballs, two catapults with barrels of gunpowder- long fused. Iron "anchor" that could belet loose if the kraken is underneath the ship- Not permanently attached to the ship like a tradition anchor. Wood for repairs, an extra mast if needed, lotsa gunpowder, and a riverboat full of sick livestock and oil/gunpowder. 3 healing potions, two rowboats."

Anyone can come- But those are the three+ vessels coming along,

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Finally obtaining their plan and resources the day before doing the event means making some recalibrations for consistency. I asked for clarification of resources and planning a week and a half ago, so this threw a wrench in that I have to remedy the night before. It's inconvenient but I can work around it.

With a large player group and fear for a lack of temps, The Sabretooth will not be appearing. Instead, the encounter will be marked with an ultimatum for players as one of the boats (Kane) will be ensnared within the area that they intend to set a trap. Without fire, the spearing attacks will pierce but not rend kraken flesh, making defending difficult. The players are in turn forced to try and repel it, or sacrifice the ship.

Sangria and Wise's "unconventional" designs will impede the speed of the vessels, and Sangria's sick livestock will have a chance of infecting the crew in turn. The spears on the bottom of Wise's ship are like to snap off, and though the anchor attack may work, if it fails the ship is either without it for the rest of the encounter, or sitting ducks.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
In summary of the event:

I was not given a material count and could not plan as accordingly as wished, but that is only a minor setback. I was not told which Kane ship to use, and it was not in attendance because of it.

They set off, primary Kraken encounter began with an outlaw carrying dead livestock and oil drums in a boat ahead of them. He would grow sick and pass out, sending his boat veering off to the side before it was caught by the kraken. Our "heroes" would grapple it on The Vineyard, eventually taking out 2 of 8 tendrils. Due to a misfire on the Captain's part, much of the deck was destroyed in an explosion, and the ship had sprung leaks at the hull, beginning to sink. The beast was intent to crush the ship before the Wise Vessel (of a name I've forgotten) would scrape it off, shearing part of The Vineyard's remaining ship. The crew would rope onto the Wise boat, dropping a lit barrel of gunpowder into the water as they did. It would catch a tentacle underwater, erupting in a geyser later.

Both crews helped lick wounds and the Kraken, now aggrivated, pierced into the hull of the Wise's vessel, latching onto the bottom. It began to dismantle the boat, easily sinking it before a loose barrel of gunpowder would be sent it's way, detonating the beast at what seemed to be it's core. The 10 of them would escape on a lifeboat that seated 5, and survive on a 3-4 day sail on a ration of crackers, belts and Kraken meat that was "cooked" by a fire aspect dagger.

They arrived at the Arget Isles thereafter, receiving their reward and heading home.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Going to publicize this, as it's done. Demonstrating to players that we try to plan this stuff out is a good idea, and I think we would benefit showing this off transparently to players after there is no more need for it to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.