Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Historians Union] Archaeology Site Excursions

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
archaeology.png The Historians Union archaeology.png
The Historians Union will host excursions to different sites in Altera.

How does it work? - Short Overview
Characters get 3 Action Points to carry out an Archaeological Dig.
They start by gathering at a place with potential historical significance, which is called a Dig Site.
They then search the Dig Site for places that might contain historical items, these places are called Excavation Sites.
After locating the site, they prepare the site, in order to find historical items, these are called Thematic Relics.

To get a Thematic Relic, one emotes out their actions and rolls their lore dice near a prepared Excavation Site.
Depending on the number of successes, they find a Relic in classes Common to Legendary.
Once found, they will need to repair the damaged Thematic Relic with HC items.

Once repaired, they can then add the Thematic Relic to their collection, sell/gift it to a museum, or sell it to the Historians Union for Renown.
Renown is spent on increasing the chances to find rarer relics, saving up on AP, or buying the Archaeologist title.

Read the full guide below!

Archaeology Hub Map.png
A chart of our continent with an indication of the location of the dig sites currently known to exist.

archaeology.png - Repairing Thematic Relics - archaeology.png
Dig Sites are places with Historical Significance that yield Thematic Relics.

Each Dig Site has specific Damaged Thematic Relics which need specific HC Resources in order to restore them.

Exhausted
Astrakhan - Tarnished Water - Expert - Garulf Pelt, Exceptional Leather, Machanite

Public
Storm's Landing - First Footfall - Novice - Iron Ore, Maple Wood, Simple Leather
Grand Temple
- Precursors - Master - Irrut Wood, Immortal Dust, Spidersilk

Yet to be opened
Nid Arach - Before Chaos - Journeyman - Gold Ore, Yew Wood, Fine Leather

Restoring can be done at any time by /sendmailing the items required.
If you have a higher tier material than the prerequisite, you're free to use that instead.
For instance; using exceptional leather in place of simple leather.

archaeology.png - Spending Action Points at Events - archaeology.png
During your visit you have 3 AP and may spend 1 AP on the following things

- Clearing Debris -
Some parts of Digsites may not be accessible right from the start.
You'll have to use 1 AP to clear the debris to find new and pristine Excavation Sites.

- Prepare Excavation Site -
Once you've cleared your way to a new part of the Digsite, you need to locate the excavation site.
Use 1 AP to prepare your work: Fencing off the area and carefully digging away the major chunks of dirt.

- Attempt Excavation -
You're now ready to excavate, use 1 AP to roll Mind+Lore to determine what you may find:
Failure - 0 Successes
Site-Specific Debris - 1 Success
Common - 2 Successes
Uncommon - 3 Successes
Rare - 4 Successes
Unique - 5 Successes
Legendary - 6+ Successes

Site-Specific Debris can be sifted through to find hidden relics!
2 debris = 1 common item
3 debris = 1 uncommon item
4 debris = 1 rare item
etc.!

Only the opening event of a Dig Site will have an organized event thread.
All subsequent visits to dig sites will be hosted sporadically.
You can't book them in advance.
It's just a matter of us being online at the same time and 1 to 5 people being interested in attending.

archaeology.png - Spending Renown - archaeology.png
You can sell your Thematic Relics to the Archaeologists for Renown.
With Renown, you can increase your chances to get higher-tiered Thematic Relics!
Or get more out of these events by holding onto your AP for the actual excavations.

Archaeologist Team - 1 Renown - One use only
Use this to skip the clearing debris step by letting a team of Archaeologists do the work
OR
Use this to skip the locate & prepare step by letting a team of Archaeologists do the work.

Archaeology Manuals - 1 renown - One use only
Use 1 manual for +1 success on your excavation roll. These do stack.

Archaeologist Title - 10 renown - One use only
Buy the Archaeologist Title which will appear in front of your username!

Price Chart of Thematic Relics per Renown
2x Common = 1 renown
Uncommon = 1 renown
Rare = 2 renown
Unique = 3 renown
Legendary = 4 renown

If you use 2 or more AP on things other than excavating Relics, you also get 1 Renown for being selfless.

You can also spend your renown to buy any Thematic Relics someone else has sold to the Union.
Depending on the stock available, you can buy a Common Relic for 1 renown up to a Legendary Relic for 5 renown.
See all available Thematic Relics at Candlewood's Museum!

archaeology.png - Archaeology Sets - archaeology.png
An Archaeology Set is a collection of all possible Thematic Relics from a specific Dig Site.

Folks may want to collect all separate Thematic Relics from one dig site.
In that case, here's a useful list of known Thematic Relics.

Storm's Landing - First Footfall
It appears to have been a commercial cargo ship, fitted with cannons to protect the haul onboard.
It was a seaworthy vessel that has run into a rock in the shallow waters and sunk right before the coast;
never making it ashore. Piloted by a skilled captain and crew, who abandoned the ship as it sunk.

[Keepsake] - Sandy Debris
[Common] - Barnacled Rope
[Uncommon] - Wooden Footlocker
[Rare] - Sailor's Pipe
[Unique] - Old Cannon
[Legendary] - Captain's Compass

Nid Arach - Before Chaos
There is very little known about this site.

[Keepsake] - Muddy Debris
[Common] - Unknown
[Uncommon] - Unknown
[Rare] - Unknown
[Unique] - Unknown
[Legendary] - Unknown

Astrakhan - Tarnished Water
The Asrakosian Army crossed blades with the Royalist Rebels at this site. The bones of the dead litter the site.
Inconspicuous at first, but drenched in a deeper meaning, this field of grass is the grave of many a soldier.
Parts of their standard outfits and memoirs from family members tell the tale of this site's use and history.

[Keepsake] - Coarse Debris Exhausted
[Common] - Royalist Spangenhelm Exhausted
[Uncommon] - Royalist Paramerion Exhausted
[Rare] - Statuette for the Dead Exhausted
[Unique] - Metal Curse Tablet Exhausted
[Legendary] - Royalist Commander's Breastplate Exhausted

Grand Temple - Precursors
The Precursors have long been elusive, although they were on the continent before we were.
Through the efforts of a team of researchers led by Lana Wake, we now know the location of their Grand Temple.
Look for publications on this subject by this team of intellectual Alterans if you wish to know more!

[Keepsake] - Coarse Debris
[Common] - Black Spear
[Uncommon] - Moonstone Orb
[Rare] - Moon Goddess Banner
[Unique] - Death Stick
[Legendary] - Carapace Ring Exhausted

Museums and Collectors interested in purchasing your Thematic Relics
Museum - Evenfall Academy [ I am Wake ]
Museum - Laisa's Museum [ Samiwashere ]
Museum - Aesi Ro'van Museum [ LyricalArtist ]
Collector - Lana Wake [ I am Wake ]
Collector - Lewis Doggett [ Squidziod ]

archaeology.png

Each Dig Site has a maximum of 3 Excavation Sites available.
Each Excavation Site has 5 Common, 4 Uncommon, 3 Rare, 2 Unique, and 1 Legendary Thematic Relics in it.

When an Excavation Site is depleted of Thematic Relics, new sites need to be uncovered by clearing debris.
This goes on until a site is entirely exhausted. Thematic Relics will never be refilled.

HAPPY DIGGING!
A small elaboration of the terms used in Archaeology, using Storm's Landing's First Footfall site as an example:
1653412912487.png
The red square is the Dig Site, located somewhere in Altera.
The blue square one of the three Excavation Sites that can be found within the Dig Site
The green square represents the place in the Excavation Site where you can find Thematic Relics.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Blorbis83 I'm hoping Astrakhan would be up for a digsite. I think its rich culture will give us plenty of ideas for an archaeology set!

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
If digging in the landing. Individuals may want to seek permission from the council ic.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
I don't see a problem. Was just saying it may be an ic consideration and opportunity for char rp.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I don't see a problem. Was just saying it may be an ic consideration and opportunity for char rp.
There isn't any, that's why you don't see it haha
These events will just be me DMing digsites and allowing for some history that starts at the moment Alterans arrive on the continent to be pulled from the ground. If folks want to interact and do stuff and sign contracts or whatnot they are encouraged to do so. I'm just providing the sites.

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Blorbis83 I'm hoping Astrakhan would be up for a digsite. I think its rich culture will give us plenty of ideas for an archaeology set!
Sure thing! I bet there are probably some old battle sites left over from the days where Astrakhan had its civil war, and there are definitely artifacts laying around from the earliest foundations of the town.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
The server is absolutely brimming with history on this Continent alone, there is so much people can find. The old Anhalders, some battle/death remnants from the Blight of 2305, the ruins of the fallen culture and city of Amalfia-- there are even entire cities that have vanished for OOC reasons that you could delve into ICly, like Natri'Evar or-- far, far better-- the entire Wise Empire! :D
The forums provide quite decent information regarding these old cultures, even if some have deleted their threads, you can search the keywords and scour threads for a while. You'll pick up bits and pieces of lore about these culture to scramble together some manner of artifact or pottery.

I love this idea and will involve Lana fully after the Precursor event chain and, hopefully, after the Planar Convergence has been solved.

Samiwashere

Soul stealer
Retired Staff
Samiwashere
Samiwashere
Legend
As someone who has had an archaeologist character for a long time now its nice to see something that will actually let me act on that

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
A new dig site has been discovered! Future events will reveal just what may be found there!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
After the first event, I've tweaked some stuff to make it all go more smoothly and to make sure everyone is rewarded accordingly. Now all I need to do is clean this thread up so it's easier to find what you're looking for... HMM

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Redid the thread, made stuff clearer and easier to look up! Hype :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
After being at a loss as to what to do with the relics that were sold to the Historians Union, I've decided:

You can also spend your renown to buy any Thematic Relics someone else has sold to the Union.
Depending on the stock available, you can buy a Common Relic for 1 renown up to a Legendary Relic for 5 renown.

Samiwashere

Soul stealer
Retired Staff
Samiwashere
Samiwashere
Legend
Laisa will let y’all talk to your dead loved ones in exchange for cool donations to her museum ;)

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
By the efforts of different groups of people over the course of three days, all the different Thematic Relics of the First Footfall digsite have been found for the first time!

That means the Archaeologists have enough information and together with the folks who helped they solved the puzzle of Storm's Landing's sunken ship. It appears to have been a commercial cargo ship, together with cannons to protect the haul onboard. It was a seaworthy vessel that has run into a rock in the shallow waters and sunk right before the coast, never making it ashore. Piloted by a skilled captain and crew, who abandoned the ship as it sunk.

Each of the items are still there in excavation sites; they have not been fully depleted. So plenty of reason for future visits :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Changed the thread a bit so it's easier to read for those in dark mode.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Historians Union books about the uncovered secret history of excavated dig sites will now be available for purchase. They will list all the thematic relics found there, but also give extra information and theories about the dig site. I will do my best to include theories in it that player characters came up with during the roleplays at the site. As soon as all kinds of thematic relics have been found, a new book shall be written about that dig site :)

The first book is now available on /ah; [HU] First Footfall!