Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

hello it is i

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
hello it is i

i made a fort in Dwarf Fortress, whose name is Silverfury. it is at the very edge of a climate of nothing but glaciers and tundra, but is itself a white desert biome. it is very flat, with plans to expand into a large aboveground ghetto for unwanted migrants.

this is the progress so far on said ghetto
Capture.PNG

not much has come of it yet - you can see the stairs leading down into the fortress itself, my shale walls (the fortress is composed entirely of shale belowground, apparently (it's a nice black color i like). and the trade depot that is immediately adjacent to the stairs (the square with four circles at each corner). below the trade depot is a gate, which raises upward to become alike the walls and protect us from invaders. we are assaulted by constant snow storms, and it isn't very pretty up here anyway, so that's why it's an aboveground ghetto and we live like safe dwarves.

something else of note is that because this is so, so far out of the way i'm not sure if we're going to be receiving especially many migrants, or especially many invaders. but we can reasonably expect people to become attracted to the wealth of a fortress that gets to spend most of its time trading and manufacturing instead of protecting itself - so that'll be fun.

1.PNG
this is our farming operation. dwarves eat mushrooms. the brownish squares in the center of each room is farm plots, inefficiently but neatly laid out. on the far right is a stockpile, where we store our trade goods because it's so close to the surface. what the multicolored floor patterns are is fungus, that is growing like grass on the damp earth. the mushrooms growing away from the brown stuff, and the other vaguely flower or grass shaped icons, are also fungus that is growing as useful fungal plants we can harvest at some point. usually you don't get these until you breach into underground caverns that already have them, so i have no idea why the game immediately started with me having fungus. but that's ok.

2.PNG
this is the main work space. it's little grids of 3x3 shops that are arranged to be 3x3 in shape, so nine rooms in total. there are gates that are meant to cut off some of them, this is incase dwarves go insane here or we accidentally breach an evil place, or our fortress gets invaded and the last remnants of survivors need to take refuge inside the work shops instead of some other panic room. etc etc.

you may also see pigs on the far left. i am a believe in the survival of the strongest, and so i have locked all of the pigs inside a room where they are to do nothing but procreate and grow fat so i can eat them. they don't need to be free range.

3.PNG
this is the dining room (at the bottom), food storage (to the right), and sleeping quarters (at the top) all in one screenshot. the walls are black here because we have transitioned from the desert sands and snow, into the solid rock underneath. our war dogs, and cats, if they are not wandering around the fortress are usually found in the dining room - same with idling dwarves.

speaking of dwarves, they're all going to be named after random hollowworld characters.
Alison is our mason, who made most of our rock constructs, like the stone tables in the dining room and many of the doors.
Aryus is our carpenter and woodcutter. he cut down all... five, maybe, of the small desert trees upon arrival and then made things like beds and barrels from them. when we get deep into the earth and find mushrooms as tall and woody as trees, he'll die to underground monsters while trying to cut them down to facilitate more bed production.
Eala is our farmer and butcher. she's the one who killed all of our horses upon arrival because we wouldn't have grass to graze them on and horses taste good. when we have too many kittens later on, she'll also be the one to butcher them for us so we can eat them. eala is also the only one with any combat experience, with a full suit of copper armor (minus boots, oops) and a bronze shield.
Jaret is our moner, alongside Syr. they dug out the entire fortress by hand using only two copper pickaxes, give them a round of applause. when not doing that, they're kind of useless so they just fulfill menial labor.
Nwalme is our doctor, who had no practical skills before i made him just start making rock mechanics all day every day to sell to the traders. he's stil not very useful, but now he can pretend to be, just like the real nwalme.
Nylarii is our farmer and brewer. dwarves don't like drinking water, they only want to drink copious amounts of alcohol. she facilitates fortress-wide alcoholism.
Syr is the other miner and is basically just jaret but without any differences.
Illthilior is a useless child who is only eight years old and doesn't do anything because kids suck in this game. his mother is Not Lecter and his father is Lillium.
Lillium came to the fortress, a migrant, with her family. no one in her family has any useful skills. so all she does all day is roam around and smooth walls that have been mined out by the miners.
Not Lecter is not hannibal lecter. he does what lillium does.

that is all. i will assign random dwarves random names as more come to join them. the only interesting thing to happen so far is that a random-ass desert honey badger ran up to try to get some of our food and one of our war dogs eviscerated it into a fine mist in retaliation.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
I would be far more interested in dwarf fortress if it had actual graphics. in anycase i still find it interesting. looks cool.

Narvendel

Lord of Altera
There are graphical overhauls you can do, even allowing you a first-person roaming mode, but they're often not complete and can eat your system.

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
you need to USE YOUR IMAGINATION. the game tells u everything u need to visualize things, and then u just have to use ur mind. it like cogimency.

we also got a migrant wave of 26 useless neanderthals, then another of eleven. i shall just list off their names, because they are generally pretty useless.
Adiella, Aewin,Aleksei, Alice, Alistairs, Cymic, Cymie, Demond, Drake, Drake the Stank, Gelyk,Kethron, Nikolche, Orvar, Peter, Precipitation, Sif, Sigurd, That Other Syr, The Other Orvar, Veg'larn, Vlad, Vlad, Vlad Not Putin, Asero, Ava, Black Diamond, Emeric, Cloud, Legion, Lliinneettee, Melarue, Niah, Roy, The Deadd Shadew

the fortress is suddenly struck by a crisis - our projects manager, organizer, and bookkeeper Aryus had his leg bitten off by a cave crawler from the vast caverns we breaked beneath the fortress. this is unfortunate, as we have also been plagued by gremline, a troglodyte, a blind cave crocodile, and giant bipedal flightless birds who want to steal our food.
thankfully, eala has been hard at work.
upload_2017-11-25_17-11-47.png
upload_2017-11-25_17-13-28.png

go eala go

but the reason aryus being injured is so terrible (apparently it was by a "voracious cave crawler" but i couldn't find it, a few other dwarves got bitten by it. maybe it's hiding under a bed?) is because he was not able to crawl from his place beside the main stairwell leading down into the caverns to go to his office and sign off the proper work order to go make booze for the dwarves. as such, we had a crisis (being fixed now) where my dwarves had no booze to dirnk and were dehydrating to death.

also, some people came with alpacas and horses as pets. we have no grass. so we have butchered them and they are being served to the pleasure of all of the other dwarves.

we also have no wood. we need wood in order to make beds, which is why i had to go down into the caverns to find some mushroom trees that grow down there. but it is very dangerous, mildly unfortunately. there is also the matter of our ghetto aboveground, it has been extended (and i gave it roofs!):
upload_2017-11-25_17-17-13.png
the bit to the left of the main entrance is just a pile of corpses (mostly vermin like rats and children) so that their miasma from rotting doesn't permeate the fortress and make my dwarves suicidal.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Yesh, Kethron has been added to the useless dwarf list!

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
SO! we're making a new world.
upload_2017-11-26_2-53-53.png

look at this beautiful shit. the purple arrows are evil places, the purple circles with lines under them are where goblins live. the green is mostly trees, the yellows are mostly savannahs, idr what the browns are, the grey arrows are mountains, the lines that aren't light blue are roads, the blues are roads. the land is called The Legendary Land.

upload_2017-11-26_3-8-28.png
the fortress begins anew, with Aewin, Cymic, Syra, Josef, Toby Kieth, Kethron and Erikor.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
SO! we're making a new world.
View attachment 88801

look at this beautiful shit. the purple arrows are evil places, the purple circles with lines under them are where goblins live. the green is mostly trees, the yellows are mostly savannahs, idr what the browns are, the grey arrows are mountains, the lines that aren't light blue are roads, the blues are roads. the land is called The Legendary Land.

View attachment 88802
the fortress begins anew, with Aewin, Cymic, Syra, Josef, Toby Kieth, Kethron and Erikor.
I made the cut, dad!

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
so naturally you started in the mountains above that giant purple heart right?

Narvendel

Lord of Altera
I think brown is barren, it's pretty much just rocks. If you ever get a weredwarf, seal them in the bookkeeper's office and never open it again. They don't need anything because their stats refill when they change. And because dwarves, take all the goods from any non-dwarven caravans that come through. You can usually get away with it a couple times before they wise up, and you'll get all the wood you need.

Rawkiller

Lord of Altera
Crafter
Mystic
Rawkiller12
Rawkiller12
LegendMystic
I cant wait for the new updated one they are doing on steam to release, that updates the software.