Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Event/Plot Elements and Preferences

What are your preferences in events?

• Riddles/Puzzles

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • PvE

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Staff DM'd mobs/bosses

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Exploration

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Violence/Fighting/Conflict

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • More Dungeons

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Research Oriented

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Random Encounters

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Other (Comment and let me know : ))

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
So as the current campaign is in the final stages now, it means Forlorn is back on my priorities. I don't want it to be a secondary smaller campaign but more something big enough and engaging enough to be a campaign in its own right, and while I have help (hello blarg and rygan) I've also spoken to solus and it seems a few players now want more specific things in the events they partake in. I'd like to get some responses to what kind of stuff you like most, as a player, so I can start reworking what I have to try and incorporate more into it and make it more enjoyable for more people. Some folks like riddles, puzzles, some people want big fights, some really like the PvE elements. Some want research and more scholarly aspects, and some want something far more placid and non violent. I'll make a poll as well but please don't be afraid to give your input because I don't really know what sorts of options to give here. :) 2 responses is the max so I see preferences.
Additionally, what are your thoughts on parties? Was it preferred to have smaller parties instead of server wide?
What sort of things do you want from an event/campaign?
Note: Please don't use this thread for any snide remarks relating to current campaign or resort to picking on each other. Constructive, please!

Last edited:

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
More God stuff like more signs or more events related to the Gods?

The Cinnaroll

The Cinnamon Roll
Very Sweet
Legend
Retired Staff
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Asirel_Luik
Asirel_Luik
Sweetheart
I can only put 2. So here's the whole list.

Riddles/Puzzles
Bosses
Random encounters
More dungeons
Exploration
PvE
Violence

Basically LET'S DO ALL THE THINGS!!

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I would love random encounters, and they don't even have to be campaign related. Actually, I would prefer random encounters separate from the campaign.

When you log in, you know what will happen. You'll meet players, do the rp you planned when you all log in, maybe fight players, and log out. There's no real.. excitement. Players can generate their own rp and excitement, yes. But there's only so many times that we can kill each other before we get angry at one another.

I LOVED Elz's Shadow Rider, because it was so unexpected. Admittedly campaign related, but the idea behind it. You'd just be in the middle of a normal rp and something exciting would suddenly happen! In old Riseport, we'd be drinking and gambling, and suddenly a jaguar yowls. A poisonous snake would slither by, and we'd all wonder if it was the moment one of us would get a deadly bite. The cultists invading the city and random incursions by the group. The special beasts in the early days of the map when you'd just have random sightings.

Kam's wonderful spawn gang. You never knew when they come. Causing havoc. The gryphons swooping in.

Campaigns are wonderful and necessary for making an ongoing arc and a sense of importance. But getting a team together for just random, unexpected shit does wonders for making rp feel alive and unexpected.

Right now, the rp and the world feels so empty and dead. So I think random encounters on a frequent, and even mundane, level can help tremendously. I'm not saying do a campaign level event every week, but once a week, find a group of players and do something for/with them.

A little orphan boy tries to steal a coin purse. A creature wonders too close to town. Lightning strikes a building and starts a fire that needs put out. A murder mystery. A band of thugs coming in and causing a fuss (because player thugs want to win, but event thugs can make the players feel like they did something meaningful by fending them off.)

Because I think a key part of events is to make players feel like their rp is meaningful and impactfulful, as well as giving a sense of unexpectedness.

I'd much rather log in knowing that random encounters could happen and spur arcs, when I very rarely can make scheduled BiG Campaigns

Last edited:

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
Random encounters would be cool because it could occur in smaller groups/ at spawn and more frequently as it wouldn't take as much planning. Exploration is also really cool- I liked the old Riseport events you hosted a long time ago. : )

Basically everything Niah said.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Puzzles and riddle b/c I am love puzzles and riddles. Secret ruins, locked doors, levers, plates, hidden entrances, mazes, cryptic words written on ancient walls, strange machines the purpose of which is unknown... I love that stuff.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Back in 2012 and 2013, Grief kept making events ... more or less everyday during the Second Great War, before the Third Exodus (the war camp, people refer to it as). For the better most of half a year, I had the enjoyment of logging in and, from time to time, partaking in these random events every "Red Moon."
The events were normally all the same and very straightforward. A Nether Portal appears, mobs are spawned, corruption spreads and you fight off waves of mobs until you defeat them. Sometimes a boss fight was mixed in.

It sounds plain and bland. But let me explain.
There was no greater feeling then seeing that giant purple portal appear in the wilderness and knowing, in a moment, everything around you will be dead. The first thing to come out of the portal was not mobs... but corruption. Netherrack. Using world edit, the corruption would spread throughout the overworld, destroying trees, making the grass into a Hellish landscape where fire would forever last. Lava would spawn from time to time, making the landscape harder to transverse with every wave of mobs. And there was no greater feeling then joining other players in a united effort and fighting waves of mobs- their size dependent on the amount of players there were.
Once the event was over, you had the chance to RP in the wrecked landscape and have the possibility to loot rare, demonic items. Also OOC shannigans.

Admittedly, this is not as convincing of an argument as NIAH's wish for more random encounters, which I certainly agree on.
Yet these events themselves that Grief did were also random, at least for the players.

As an ex-event staff from another server, I can improve upon the concept of mobfighting by mixing it with Roleplay and introducing Roleplay Bosses. PvE is merely the steps taken before the boss which you must RPly fight, much like in Dungeons and Dragons where you fight the minions before you reach the dungeon boss.
I once had a DM as a single boss against 40 players. And it was one of the most challenging- yet enjoyable and memorable- experiences of my Minecraft Roleplay hobby.

PvE, Staff DM'ed bosses and Random Encounters are my suggestions.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
Random events, pve, exploration, and the riddles thing are really the events that I tend to look forward to and have fond memories of when it comes to earlier days on the server for me. Smaller, for frequent ones as well that can assist in main story without being a massive ball of people all the time would be nice too but that's not really on the table here.

Lily_

Lord of Altera
Mystic
LillithLil_
LillithLil_
LegendMystic
Smaller events, more player interaction, and allow for more fantasy things to happen and be in the hands of the players that want to give events instead of it just being stuff with the Gods.

Pandora12Q

Lord of Altera
Legend
Retired Staff
Pan_12Q
Pan_12Q
Legend
I really liked the shadows- the level they existed on was possible for one person to DM and they had fantasy, threat and interest all bundled into one, if something like those could make a return for random encounters itd be pretty swish imo

Fronslin

Based on what?
Retired Staff
Fronslin
Fronslin
Good
Wasn't there some sort of... Race that was dead when we arrived to this world? It would be cool to research them!
I am Wake

Also more stuff like kam's stuff.
Kam is cool

Last edited: