Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Change in Abstract

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Good evening Hollowworld,

Over the past few months, many of you have doubtless noticed players running around with gold plus signs (+) in front of their names, but with regular colored titles. These players mostly have been related to the Events Dept., so-called "player DMs" granted permissions such as TP or vanish. Others have been working for the Lore Dept. to loreify items in-game. Many of these same players were granted on-forum permissions to view tickets related to their department, or move threads in the applicable nodes. These players have been wearing the "Hired Guns" banner to denote that they have applied to and been granted permission to volunteer in an official capacity with one of our depts.

These changes have been part of an ongoing restructure to our volunteer work force, and now at long last, we are cresting the last hill.

Our volunteer force is being split into two groups: Admin and Staff.

Admin
shall be the team that manages the direction our community takes, i.e. these are the heads of departments. Department Admin are appointed by the Owner, and they will be clarified in the coming days. Admin will appear IG as red title and (+) sign.

Staff shall be those which work our various departments. This body now includes Hired Guns and Mentors, which are being absorbed into "Staff." They are appointed by the Admin for whichever Dept(s). they are applying to. Staff will appear IG as their donation title and (+) sign.

By absorbing Hired Guns and Mentors into Staff, it can be easily seen that the Staff group will consequently grow. On this note, keep in mind the following: not all Staff are working in the same depts., so not all Staff represent every dept.—do not expect Staff working in Moderation Dept. to aid in your Lore inquiry, and visa versa. There will be some overlap, but do not make the assumption. Inversely, any Admin should be able and is expected to be able to point you in the correct direction, and if they tell you to do something, you should listen.

Also important to note: just because there are more Staff does not mean that the position has been devalued. We still demand high standards for our Staff, and they are all to be held accountable accordingly.

Currently, players roles on the forums (and to a more minor extent, IG) do not match the final version of this change. We are still in the process of making this change. There will be additional clarifications and listings in the following days. In the mean time, this thread may serve as a general area for Q&A.

***​

Thank you for your flexibility and patience,
—SQ

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Is it still possible to apply for mentor? What are the requirements if so?
The Mentor position—and the duties it entails—have been absorbed by the Player Relations (PR) Dept., which also handles media, basic forum upkeep, and Spawn. The Dept. Admin for PR is Solus so if there is interest in that, they should get in touch with her.

We'll be looking at being more clear about how to apply to any given department (if applications are open), and the necessary requirements, in the coming days per those "additional clarifications and listings" mentioned above.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
"By absorbing Hired Guns and Mentors into Staff, it can be easily seen that the Staff group will consequently grow "

"just because there are more Staff does not mean that the position has been devalued."

This is just an observation and more of a general question, but by elevating Mentors to the same level as not only the Hired Guns, but also some of the current staff who will be "softly demoted" by this change, doesn't this undoubtedly devalue all but the Admin role and especially the previous work of those getting softly demoted? Since, you're now giving the Mentors the same level of trust currently afforded to some of the old iteration of the staff team or even the previous Hired Guns.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
This is just an observation and more of a general question, but by elevating Mentors to the same level as not only the Hired Guns, but also some of the current staff who will be "softly demoted" by this change, doesn't this undoubtedly devalue all but the Admin role and especially the previous work of those getting softly demoted? Since, you're now giving the Mentors the same level of trust currently afforded to some of the old iteration of the staff team or even the previous Hired Guns.
We've had a month (or longer, I think) to review the documents and voice our concerns or ask further questions before this change has actually happened. I am one of the staff members effected and I understand it's for the best.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
[D]oesn't this undoubtedly devalue all but the Admin role and especially the previous work of those getting softly demoted?
I would like to think that if any of my Staff felt that way, that it would have come up in discussion prior to this change. As Rygan notes above, this has been some time in the making and can not be—by any stretch of the imagination—said to have been rushed into. Additionally, this line of thinking requires a kind of deprecation of the Mentors and Hired Guns; in terms of respect, this shouldn't be thought about as "knocking people down to their level," it should be thought of as "elevating them up to our level."

Some of our Hired Guns and Mentors work very hard. At times, harder than their Staff counterparts.

Is some prestige of Staff lost? Yes. Simply by virtue of Staff being more numerous, it becomes less exclusive. However, I sincerely hope that no one believes that value and prestige are the same thing.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
I would like to think that if any of my Staff felt that way, that it would have come up in discussion prior to this change. As Rygan notes above, this has been some time in the making and can not be—by any stretch of the imagination—said to have been rushed into. Additionally, this line of thinking requires a kind of deprecation of the Mentors and Hired Guns; in terms of respect, this shouldn't be thought about as "knocking people down to their level," it should be thought of as "elevating them up to our level."

Some of our Hired Guns and Mentors work very hard. At times, harder than their Staff counterparts.

Is some prestige of Staff lost? Yes. Simply by virtue of Staff being more numerous, it becomes less exclusive. However, I sincerely hope that no one believes that value and prestige are the same thing.
Thank you for the honest response, it assuaged my concerns a little.